Help choosing earphones or IEM's for iPod Touch
Dec 16, 2009 at 3:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peter312

100+ Head-Fier
My other half is kindly buying me a 64GB iPod Touch for Christmas. I would like to buy some earphones for it but do not want to use an amp. Actually, I am not bothered if they are earphones, IEM's (but not ones that go too deep) or clip ons.

I have an old pair of Sennheiser MX500's, but these are bass light. I have tried CX300's and CX500's but the treble on these was much too artificial for me. I also have a pair of Shure SE110's which have clarity but have no bass at all and no treble extension (above 10khz) unless I use an Equalizer (and this is not the iPod's strong point!).

So, I'm looking for clarity, good treble extension and a balanced amount of bass. Please can anyone recommend any earphones, IEM's or clip ons that fit the bill? Would any of these fit the bill?
  1. Shure SE530
    Sennheiser IE7
    Audio Technica ATH-EC7
    Creative Aurvana Air
    B&O A8's
    AKG K319

My budget is up to £200 or so.

Thanks

Peter

Dec 16, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 9
Fx500 will fit the bill and will sound wonderful with the touch,it has deep base,plenty of calrity and details and sweet treble.

Dec 16, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 9
I would go for the IE8 since you can get them at 140 quid at amazon uk and have very rugged cables (kevlar type). Its good if you are into electronics, jazz, hip hop and rap.

A shure would probably last you about a year due to cabling problems.

Dec 16, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks for the replies so far.

How's the clarity and treble with the IE8's? I'm just a little concerned they might be the IEM version of the HD650, which I found a little dark. I prefer the HD600's, which have a better upper treble response.

Cheers

Peter

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #6 of 9
the ie8 is indeed dark thats why i didnt recomend them because you said you want clarity and treble(bright phones),some people like "HeadphoneAddict"(a very experienced member say that they remind him of the hd650).i still recomend the fx500 for you.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:41 PM Post #7 of 9
RE0 would be a decent choice.

Another in the price range your looking at is the Westone 2. They are an amazing phone. and only $249 at earphonesolutions.

Dec 16, 2009 at 9:58 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by midoo1990 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fx500 will fit the bill and will sound wonderful with the touch,it has deep base,plenty of calrity and details and sweet treble.

I don't think the touch gets the most out of the FX500. I compared it against my A829 with a touch of EQ and Clearbass and the difference is vast. The sound is a lot less harsh, and the Bass is unbelievable.

I think a warmer headphone would be best suited to the touch.

Dec 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM Post #9 of 9
I don't know man it is tough choice but both my ie8 and fx500 sound wonderful with the touch,he can't go wrong with any of them but if he wants clarity and details the fx500 is still better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back