Help choosing between d-Jays and q-Jays
May 3, 2009 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

syndrome

100+ Head-Fier
Friends,

I've finally come to realize my need for a better IEM for use with my iPod Classic. I've been using the Sennheiser CX300 for a good while now, which worked good with my iriver (with EQ) but they are not that fun on a flat EQ.

What I like with the CX300
- Bass goes DEEP. With proper EQ, it gets very controlled too.
- It maintains proper mids and highs too, again with proper EQ.

What I dislike with the CX300
- Out of something without EQ, my iPod for example, it sounds boomy and muddy.

I plan on sticking with my iPod since I just got it and I want the capacity. That's when I started thinking Jays. I've seen a bit about them before, and they've received good reviews.

The hard part is choosing between d and q. I've heard good about both, but that the q is very analytical? I'm not a basshead, I do like bass but I want it to be tight and controlled.

I will run this out of an iPod Classic unamped, and I don't plan on getting a an amp. My collection consists of 192-256VBR MP3 and the occasional Apple Lossless, genres are mostly Electronic, Rock and Metal.

There is a price difference, but I have no problem paying for the q's if it's a worthy step up in SQ.

Thanks for your help Head-Fi!

May 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM Post #2 of 11
Check my sig for my d-Jays reviews.

I quite like them, in fact I'm listening to them right now.
I can't help but wonder how much better the q-Jays are.

I was just reading a review of the Klipsch x10 yesterday and the author kept coming back to the q-Jays almost as a "standard" for fine listening with a deep punch. One thing's for sure, the q-jays are definitely tiny!

May 3, 2009 at 12:21 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check my sig for my d-Jays reviews.

I quite like them, in fact I'm listening to them right now.
I can't help but wonder how much better the q-Jays are.

I was just reading a review of the Klipsch x10 yesterday and the author kept coming back to the q-Jays almost as a "standard" for fine listening with a deep punch. One thing's for sure, the q-jays are definitely tiny!

Thanks for the great reviews!

May 4, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 11
Just a daily bump. Nice weather eh?

May 6, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #5 of 11
Last attempt?

May 6, 2009 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 11
The Q-Jays sound somewhat similar to the Etymotic ER4's but with more bass. The highs are sharp and sometimes very harsh. More of an analytical iem. They are very tiny as well. I don't know how they managed to cram 2 drivers in each earpiece.

May 6, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Q-Jays sound somewhat similar to the Etymotic ER4's but with more bass. The highs are sharp and sometimes very harsh. More of an analytical iem. They are very tiny as well. I don't know how they managed to cram 2 drivers in each earpiece.

Hmm, I see. I'm not sure how I'd handle harsh highs, how are the D-jays in the same respect?

I was just thinking if I'd make a mistake getting the D's instead of Q's. If it was a huge step in quality for example.

May 6, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, I see. I'm not sure how I'd handle harsh highs, how are the D-jays in the same respect?

I was just thinking if I'd make a mistake getting the D's instead of Q's. If it was a huge step in quality for example.

I never heard the D-Jays. What is the price difference between the two? As for the harshness, foam tips and adjusting the EQ helps out.

May 6, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I never heard the D-Jays. What is the price difference between the two? As for the harshness, foam tips and adjusting the EQ helps out.

The Q's are double the price of the D's.

May 6, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by syndrome /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Q's are double the price of the D's.

That's a huge price difference. I noticed that you live in Sweden. Since the d-jays and q-jays are designed in Sweden, is there any place where you can try them?

May 6, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #11 of 11
I think both are good, although the Q-Jays are quite an improvement in sound quality. Pick the Q-Jays if you can (and want to), otherwise you are fine with the D-Jays.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back