Help choosing an MP3 player and headphones
Oct 8, 2005 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FunkyFender

New Head-Fier
I'm looking a couple things in a digital audio player.
  1. Flash based
  2. At least 1 GB
  3. Support for vorbis and MP3 (FLAC and others are just bonus)
  4. No more than $200 (US)
  5. Has to be reasonably sturdy (I'll be using it while on a bus to and from school)

Obviously, iAudio's U2, I5, and G3 caught my eye, but I'm not sure of which to get of the three. Bolt San mentioned that AA/AAA's come with a variable power output. What would this mean for the player/sound quality. I'd also like this player to last me a couple years without having to pay to replace a battery. How long would the U2's Lithium-polymer battery last me, assuming I took decent care of it?

Secondly, I'd like some recommendations on headphones/earbuds for the player. I don't have too much money to spend on the headphones, so nothing too far over $50. ($75 would be the absolute max.)

I currently have a pair of Sony MDR-E828 earbuds which fit almost perfectly, but the right channel is starting to die after around 4 or 5 years of use. I'd probably like to get another set of earbuds, but if the price/quality is right, I'd go with clipons or street style headphones. (Koss's KSC75s caught my eye.)

Thanks bunches.

Oct 8, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 9
You don't have to worry about the reliability of lithium batteries, they power every portable electronic device now!

I recommend the U2. It's a great little player, and it charges via the USB connection on your computer.

There are a few excellent cheap headphones, but you have to decide if you want open or closed. On the open side, you can't go wrong with the Koss KSC75 or Sennheiser PX-100. On the closed side, the Sennheiser PX-200 isn't too bad.

Oct 8, 2005 at 8:42 AM Post #3 of 9
Second that on any of the iAudios - good players, good support, and geek cool if thats important!

Headphones - I see Sennheiser have just bought out the PMX100s in streetstyle format. If they are as good as the PX100s they would move well to the front of the streetstyle pack surely? Don't like the 200s so much - I have them in the form of the PX250 for travelling, and there is something very deficient about the sound - bad bass, lacking presence etc etc. But then I only listen to them on airplanes so that might have something to do with it! Think they come out in a PMX200 streetstyle as well though not sure about that.

Oct 8, 2005 at 9:16 AM Post #4 of 9
FunkyFender, I'm in the same position as you,
I'm planning on buying the iaudio U2, sennheiser px100's, and maybe some creative EP60 earbuds If i want to spend a lil' bit more money.
I've done a hell of a lot of research, and even though i haven't listened to any of them, i recommend them all!
Dom

Oct 8, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #5 of 9
Thanks to everyone that replied. You guys put a few of my fears/concerns to rest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
Headphones - I see Sennheiser have just bought out the PMX100s in streetstyle format.

Those caught my eye, but I can't seem to find them in any online store. (based in the US, at least) Did they just come out or am I going to have to really hunt for these? (Oddly enough, the german version of amazon have them, but the US version does not?
blink.gif
)

Oct 8, 2005 at 4:27 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyFender
Thanks to everyone that replied. You guys put a few of my fears/concerns to rest.

Those caught my eye, but I can't seem to find them in any online store. (based in the US, at least) Did they just come out or am I going to have to really hunt for these? (Oddly enough, the german version of amazon have them, but the US version does not?
blink.gif
)

Not that odd. Sennheiser is a german company.

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:48 AM Post #7 of 9
The battery may not be your main concern for the U2 and G3. I've read several posts on here saying that the joystick controls on these start to have problems after a year or so of use. The I5 uses a pair of jogdials which will likely last longer.

Oct 10, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #9 of 9
The only thing holding me back from buying any one of a handful of flash players is no support for gapless playback. Gapless playback of ANY format and I'd be sold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back