Help Choosing AKG Headphones
Jan 14, 2012 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

VictoraStrehlau

New Head-Fier
I have a pair of Sony MDR-V150 - and I hate them. HATE THEM. I need a decent upgrade, MUST be *around* ear fit, not on.
I'm down to three: AKG K44 [$36.34], K99 [$49], & K601 [$155]. Which of these will get me the same quality, worse quality, &/or better quality than my Sony?

-

I am a film editor, and know nothing about sound but it's very important to me. I am desperate for an upgrade - from what I currently have, so nothing over the top since just about everything has got to be better than what the Sony. The only pair of headphones I can be sure I like are the AKG K55 or K66 - but I can't find them anywhere. [if you find one please send the link] So if I consider them to be excellent, that should give you an idea of what I like.

It's stupid but out of the K44 & K99 I like the look of the K44 better. They are supposedly not 'pro' headphones, but they are only 16 dB less sensitive than the K99 yet are loud from what I've read. [http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-AKG-AKG-AKG-K-99~PRDLT-21283533-58946736]
And comparing them to the Sony I have, mine are apparently better [http://www.shopping.com/xSBS-AKG-AKG-Sony-Studio-Monitor-Stereo-Headphones~PRDLT-21279372-21283533].
Another filmmaker told me not to get either of these because they will sound like crap.

Obviously the K601 is the best of the three. Are they worth the money? Will I reaaaally need these if my concern is not to be recording/making sound? [in other words I am not so much crazy about how much I hear as I am about the overall sound quality] Also the price I found were for used [http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000NDJRSU/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used&tag=acleint-20] is this safe? I was told they'd be probably blown out.

Jan 14, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #2 of 8
Sony MDR-V150 are pretty bottom of the barrel so are just crappy in general. From what I remember the k44 and K99 are meant to be throwaway sets and aren't really representative of the the AKG sound.

If you just want something better than the V150 why are you so set on AKG's? There are a ton of reasonably prices headphones better than the V150 in a variety of brands and cheaper than the K601. If you are a film editor, you should be familiar with the Sony MDR-7506. This is a professional monitor used in a ton of studios and reasonably priced. You may want to check on those. V150's are not indicative of the sound of the 7506 so don't let that deter you from trying it. The Creative Aurvana Live is an oft recommended one and if you are patient Amazon will discount them as low as $60 from time to time.

Jan 15, 2012 at 8:59 PM Post #3 of 8
I can't wait to get rid of my V150. Absolute garbage. And I'm talked out of the K44 & K99, and the K601 are a bit over the top.

Like I said, I go by what I know, which is that I like AKG, because they are the only pair I tried. I'm sure there's great stuff out there, but all this would be a lot easier if headphones could actually tested. If what you say is true, then the MDR-7506 looks very nice. I'm also fixed on AKG because I've heard that Sony always has to be turned up which results in worse quality or aren't neutral, and that AKG, though light on the bass, keeps it crisp, and turning it up won't distort anything.

For me it's now between the AKG K121, and this Sony MDR-7506.

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 8
If you're running unamped, the K601's are less than ideal. They still sound terrific, but for unamped I think you might be better off going with the K271's. The K271's are probably the best sounding closed headphone I've heard, with some of the best mids I've heard in any headphone. And while they, too, improve with amping, they still sound fantastic straight out of an MP3 player, computer, or whatever you use.

If you're looking for something more portable that those, however, the 7605's, or their cheaper twin, the V6's are an excellent buy. Very well rounded sound, and considerably more portable than the K271's. They have more bass than the K271's, so if you want even a little bit of bass thump, the V6's might be ideal for you. Not to say the V6's are bass-heavy, it's just the K271's are a bit bass light.
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #5 of 8
You've apparently missed the AKG K240 Studio, which sells for approximately $95-99. 

There are a dozen or more good headphones in the price range you've mentioned.  You should do some reading on these here at head-fi:

Sony MDR V6 (another studio monitor very similar to the 7506 already mentioned)
KRK KNS6400
KRK KNS8400
Shure SRH440
Sony ZX700

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 8
X2 on the k240S. Totally different sound than the v6....less harsh, more laid back, but still fairly neutral, with a big low end. Which one you'd like is impossible to say. If it was purely for film editing I'd go with the v6....if purely for enjoyment I'd pick the k240....but that's just me.

Quote:
You've apparently missed the AKG K240 Studio, which sells for approximately $95-99. 

There are a dozen or more good headphones in the price range you've mentioned.  You should do some reading on these here at head-fi:

Sony MDR V6 (another studio monitor very similar to the 7506 already mentioned)
KRK KNS6400
KRK KNS8400
Shure SRH440
Sony ZX700

Jan 18, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 8
Yes, K240 is very nice. I think a big factor is comfort.
I bought a K142 so I can return them after I try them out for a few days [they didn't have anything else], and I've gotta say, UNCOMFORTABLE. It's like re-living my Sony MDR-V150 times. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the pads & overall fit of the K141 is identical to that of the K142? I do long hours of editing at a time, I can't be distracted with sore ears! 
The K240 is around ear, and cheaper [$95] than the K141 [$107].
So the question is, which is better then as far as sound, K240 or K141? [they are both semi-open, but K240 has a bigger frequency range {though I've heard that this is not an accurate way to rate ability}].

Portability is of no issue. Although style is. :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 10:47 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I'm not so sure the K141 sounds that much better than the K142, and I have a feeling that they are both just as uncomfortable. I would definitely consider the Sony MDR-7506, but I just don't have any way of knowing how they sound or anything to base it on or compare it to. So, I'm going for the K240! :) thanks so much for everyone's help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back