Help choosing a pair of closed circumaural cans up to $150-$200 for iPad/Android phone listening
Feb 20, 2012 at 12:06 AM Post #16 of 17

Quote:
Since my last post, I returned the Denons - -They just weren't right for me. 

I had the opportunity to demo a pair of Sennheiser HD380s and a pair of KRK 8400s.  I found the Sennheisers to be somewhat boomy on the bass side of things and felt they clamped my head very tightly.  I had concerns about long term comfort with the 380s.  The KRKs had a more balanced sound but a bit harsh.  I hoped the harshness would even out over time, and I purchased the pair.  I found that they had somewhat small (for my ears) pads, and comfort was not the best.  Over a few days of trying to live with my ears not quite fitting and the slightly harsh sound, I decided to return these as well.

I took a bit of a road trip to a guitar center and had the opportunity to demo the Beyer DT770 pro80s and the Shure 840s.  I liked the sound from both, but the bass from the DT770s colored the sound somewhat.  They were great with electronic and hip hop, but less ideal for rock.  The Shures on the other hand sounded very balanced to me.  I would describe the bass as punchy, but it does not color the rest of the sound.  What I found to be extremely surprising was that I found the Shures more comfortable than the Beyers.  The circular shape of the Beyer pads either sat on the top or the bottom of my ear and I could not adjust them to be completely comfortable.  The more oval shape of the Shure pads suited my ears better.  I purchased the Shure 840s and have been using them daily since.  I will say that I likely paid a premium for the Shures at $180 ($199 and I had a $20 off coupon) since I think I could have saved 40-50 dollars buying from Amazon, but I got great service at the Guitar Center and got to take them home with me on the spot, so I don't regret the purchase there.

After about a week with the Shures, I can say that I do not find them uncomfortable over extended periods (I have used them for up to three hours straight).  The sound is extremely detailed and pleasing to me.  Ample bass, with clean and clear mids and highs.  I have been surprised and frequently impressed with the quality of the sound on well recorded material.  They are easily driven by my portable players and I do not feel the need to purchase an amp.  I appreciate the replaceable single sided cord, but find myself wishing I could find a shorter cable for use with the portables; 3-4 feet would be ideal (a right angle plug wouldn't hurt either).

I now feel like I am hearing what I was missing from the Bose AE2s.  In fact, I am enjoying the sound so much, I have a hard time believing that additional expense would provide anything more than an incremental improvement in sound.  Granted, I have not heard any substantially more expensive cans, but I think the Shure 840s hit a sweet spot for me on both price and sound quality.

I have been researching headphones for about two months.  I have read dozens of reviews and 100+ forum threads and learned quite a bit along the way.  Ultimately, my takeaway from all of this is that no amount of research can substitute for trying and spending time with a pair of headphones.  Of the many sets I had considered, I really thought the Shures were the least likely to work for me since so many people complained about their comfort and comfort was my primary concern.  The Shures are not as comfortable as the Bose, but of all of the other headphones that I have tried, they are the only ones I could wear for more than 30 minutes.  I would still be interested in trying the likes of the M50s or the AKG 271mkII or even significantly higher end cans if I have the chance, but as of right now, I am very satisfied.  I doubt I'll be buying any other cans any time soon.

Thanks to all who made recommendations and help along the way.

I don't see a reason for you to try m50 to be honest. If you like SRH840 that much, you should stick to it. I think m50 is just a minimal but a clear downgrade from SRH 840. (except the comfort issues.)

271mk2 will sound great but you will need an amp. Without the amp SRH840 is a clear winner, and even with the amp I think they will depend on the songs you listen to.

Most of the songs I'll prefer SRH 840.

Feb 20, 2012 at 11:55 AM Post #17 of 17
The 840 is definitely a keeper for me.  It has handled everything I have thrown at it so far (i.e. Rock, alternative, hip-hop, electronic, acoustic) extremely well.  It's really revealing, so lower quality recordings don't sound great, but garbage in > garbage out.

I guess you could say that I've been bitten by the bug. I have really enjoyed researching and learning about headphones and would like to participate more in this forum.  The more different headphones I hear, the more informed my opinion and recommendations will become.  I might also find another set that I would consider purchasing.  I would really like to be able to demo some significantly more expensive cans to get a sense what the additional dollars actually get you in comparison to those I have already heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back