Help choosing a good set of closed cans?
May 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Billybob79

Head-Fier
Hi

Looking for a bit of advice. I am looking into buying a set of closed cans (wife complains about open ones) that will compliment my current cans. My budget is around £400.00 (man this hobby is costing me a fortune!!).

I currenlty have some HD650's and Grado Sr325i's and love them both. Really think that they compliment each other and i find myself switching between them depending on what i am listening to.

I listen to a wide range of music depending on my mood. Anything from classic rock to jazz and classical.

I am currently leaning towards the Denon D5000. Will these be a good addition to my collection? Would like impression's based on the stock denon's and not the Markl modded version.

Thanks in advance
normal_smile .gif

May 11, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Billybob79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi
I am looking into buying a set of closed cans (wife complains about open ones)

I am currently leaning towards the Denon D5000. Will these be a good addition to my collection? Would like impression's based on the stock denon's and not the Markl modded version.
:

I think you'd probably like the Denons but I've read a few times that the isolation is only a little better than open phones. I don't quite understand that but then I don't own a pair so I'm just repeating what I've read.

The most isolating closed cans I've used are my Beyer DT770's. They have monster bass but recessed upper mids and they are prone to sibilance. I really don't use them for anything but laptop movie watching.

May 12, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 13
The AH-D2000 are signficantly less "closed" than I expected, although your wife will probably be able to handle them better than the HD650. Still, nothing like the HD280Pro or the Sony MDR-7506, for instance. I've also worn the AH-D5000 and found them to be similar to the AH-D2000 in this regard, although my audition was for a short time only, and not in my home.

May 12, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 13
ill give the ultrasones a look. i just got the hfi780 and so far so good. much more bass than my ms2s and senns 580, but its quality bass and not muddy at all. for a more detailed prsentation you should look at the pro(line) models (750,900). btw you shoul always consider getting mdr v6 on the side(they are only 70 usd) aswell, they are pretty detailed and built like a tank. as far as i know you could probably get the pro(line) 750 AND THE HFI 780 for the price of the d500. nobrainer, for me atleast. unless you prefer the wooden cups of the Ds.

May 12, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #5 of 13
Interesting. Had not thought about the Ultrasones. I have read they are quite bass heavy? Would you describe their signature sound closer to the 650's or grados (for those lucky enough to have auditioned them all)

Also read a couple of reviews of the sonys and may give them a try. Maybe i should change the title of the thread to "Help Choosing 2 sets of Closed cans!'. So tempting.

May 12, 2009 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 13
add 50 dollars and you get ultrsone pro 900, how about that
smily_headphones1.gif

May 12, 2009 at 9:19 PM Post #8 of 13
yeah, since your wife is right next to you.. it might be better to think of getting a different brand.

Depends how loud you listen to them, in all honesty.

It probably cuts out.. 5/6 of the sound.

(Comparing D1001 vs AD700, and FWIR, the denons all isolate similarly)

May 12, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #9 of 13
If you can stretch just a little for a new pair, or don't mind getting a set used, the Audio Technica ATH-W5000 is worth taking a look at. Of all that has been written about them fit seems critical. If they fit well, you will probably love them. If not, then you may as well sell them ASAP.

I recently acquired a pair. They fit me like they were designed for my head. I've gone from 2 dimensional to a holographic sound presentation. It's literally been like going from Color television to HDTV. Isolation is also quite good. They are easier to drive then the Grado RS-1. My wife can't hear the music. Wish I could say the same about her and the television
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #10 of 13
The Audio Technica ATH-W5000 are definately appealing but i think they are just a little out of my price range at the moment.

Looks like if i go for the Denon's i'll need to convinve my wife to watch TV in the other room. Can't see that conversation going well!! Need to factor a hotel room into my budget.

May 13, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #11 of 13
You could take a look at the BeyerDynamic DT150 and BeyerDynamic DT 770 2005 consumer edition. They isolate and sound very good.
Comfort is better on the DT770.

Other good sounding and isolating headphones are the AKG K271/272 and the Kenwood KH-K1000.

I had the Denon AH-D2000. And I agree with previous posters, that they hardly isolates.

May 16, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #12 of 13
Thanks for all your help, it is greatly appreciated.

I ended up going for the d5000 more for their sound signature than anything else. And yes they hardly isolate but they do sound great and are so comfortable. Think i will just have to stick to my se530's when trying not to annoy others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back