Help choosing a good library pair of headphones
Nov 13, 2013 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

therealavi

New Head-Fier
Hi - so i've done a lot of searching and reading through the guides and reviews here, but I am still not sure if I've found the perfect pair of headphones for what I need, so I am hoping someone here can either (a) tell me which pairs to consider, or (b) point me to where this is already discussed. Thanks in advance for your help!

I am looking for:
*closed headphones
*causal use, generally in the library
*straight, not coiled cable
*does not need to be "fashionable" but should still be somewhat "sleek" and/or not look giant on my head.
*I mainly listen to hip-hop, so I'm assuming something bassy would work
*price range less than $150.
*build quality is important because I am not always super careful with things 

Essentially, I think I am looking for a pair of Bose-like headphones, except all the reviews say that Bose is overpriced and over-rated, so given what I am looking for, I am hoping someone can point me to the perfect pair.

Thanks again!

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 7
I know it's be overpriced but I suggest Ultrasone HiFi 580 or Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO 32 ohm version. Ultrasone more portable, sleek and bassy. Beyerdynamic generaly better sound quality, still great bass.

Nov 13, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 7
*I mainly listen to hip-hop, so I'm assuming something bassy would work

How bassy? The Onkyo ES-FC300 have a just a little bit of bass emphasis, but very good bass quality. Easy to drive with portable devices. See this review: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/delightful-onkyo-es-fc300-and-es-hf300-page-2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back