Help choosing a DAC.
Aug 26, 2014 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kljash

Head-Fier
Hello,

I'm looking to buy a dac for my setup and would like some help in choosing one.

I'm currently using my Fiio X5, into my WA2, into my T1's.

Now that I have some money saved up for a dac, I have found it pretty hard to find a place to start. it seems like every thing has its share of praise/hate.

My budget is around 700 dollars. 

I guess my question is what dac would get me better sound then out of my X5/ what features to look for that I might want in the future.

Thanks for your time, I look forward to hearing peoples thoughts.

Some of the ones I've stumbled upon 

Arcam irdac
EE minimax dac
Audio M DAC 

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Audio-gd NFB-1?

Aug 26, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 10
  is the 1s the same thing as the 1?

There seem to be minor difference and the newer NFB-1S ($525) is $125 cheaper then the NFB-1 ($650)
I'm trying figure out all the differences, but the the Audio-GD website is acting a little funny.

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #5 of 10
Minimax Dac is not bad, it has room for improvement if you like to DIY. 

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #6 of 10
First of all, decide on the features you'd like it to have:
- what inputs do you need? USB only (i.e. if your source is a computer), or would you benefit from Toslink or Coax (CD players and TV sets often have these)? 
- what's the highest resolution of your files that you'd like to play natively? Mostly MP3, high res FLACs or DSD?
- what outputs should be provided? Just RCA or XLR as well (i.e. if you intend to go balanced)?
- portable or stationary?
- form factor? I.e. have you got room for 19" rack mountable box, or should it be something smaller?

Aug 26, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #7 of 10
I have found it pretty hard to find a place to start. it seems like every thing has its share of praise/hate.

That's definitely true. Good expensive DACs have reached that level of transparency/accuracy where the differences are slight enough that it comes down to subjective opinions over fine differences where you might not even hear that difference.

Aug 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM Post #8 of 10
these are the best DAC chips(32 bit and high SNR) and the DACs that use them so

DAC chip/DAC

(1) ES9018/ Audio-GD makes DACs with this chip

(2) AK4399/Schiit Bifrost Uber

(3) PCM1795/ Musical Fidelity V90 and perhaps others ....

Aug 27, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #9 of 10
Bit on the nfb-1. A little over budget, but I'm very excited to hear how it sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back