help choose source,dac and connection
Apr 13, 2007 at 6:58 PM Post #2 of 9
whoever did that you read my mind
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Apr 14, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #3 of 9
well here is the intresting thing. the delta seems built better than the sony from the outside. the sonys transport and power supply(audio) are modern and simply outclass the delta. add to that the sony is outputing at 24/96.

i have tried both on the grace and the sony is just better.

here is what is (not) surprising though. the sonys analog outs are comparable to most $1,000 dvdp's. i mean to say better than most of the $50 units but nowhere near audiophile quality. i hooked it up to the grace and it can hold it's own with the g08! the delta didn't even come close. remember the g08 is also an upsampler.

people have bashed that sony. did anyone actually take it apart? it might not weigh a lot but the goods are there. as an option to the sacdmod or modwright just hook up a good dac to this sony.

i guess thats all. only 3 folks voted so far anyhow. i let my ears decide for themselves.

music_man

Apr 14, 2007 at 10:36 AM Post #4 of 9
your question is very, very specific. it probably is just the case that not many people have heard the combinations you list.

Apr 15, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #5 of 9
well maybe someone could at least take a gander which is a better transport.

the delta has over 20,000 hours on it and it's days are probably numbered anyways. parts are no longer available either. i don't know if i should keep it as a relic or pawn it while i still can. i will not sell it here because it wouldn't be right if iy fails.

music_man

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #6 of 9
you know what? ive been a/b'ing them. they sound different. i actually like them both. so i hooked up the delta with aes and the sony with it's s/pdif.
now i have both in my system and can switch depending on which ever disc sounds better in that machine.

one thing that is probably an easy question if anyone would please tell me,
how long is one of those old transports likely to last? it has been used every day for 20+ years already.

music_man

Apr 16, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #7 of 9
Music Man,

I have owned a Delta for 10+ years. Have not compared it to the Sony so no comments in that regard. But FYI there is a place in CN that repairs them and can replace, if not everything, at least the parts that are likely to fail. I can dig up their info if you want.

As far as how long it'll last, well, as you can see it is very well-constructed. But I would have to think that with high mileage and age things will at some point start to fail. Mine is no longer my main transport, but I expect I will fix it when it flakes out if at all possible.

Apr 16, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 9
thanks for answering me.

i guess i will just use it untill it breaks and then see if i wish to repair it.
the pawn shop would only probably give me $150 for it anyways. probably better to hang on to it.

i was wondering if you know if it sounds different through the aes or the s/pdif. i can't tell a difference but i have it in my head that aes is better.

music_man

Apr 16, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #9 of 9
I have only used it via the SP/DIF output.

Also, it needs to be said that ergonomically, the Delta is not a great design. But then you knew that.
smily_headphones1.gif

All in all, mine has served me very well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back