Help Choose Beyerdynamic A1 vs Naim Headline/NAPSC For T1
Apr 30, 2012 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ryder78

100+ Head-Fier
For Beyerdynamic T1 headphones, which would you choose if given a choice:-

1) Beyerdynamic A1
2) Naim Headline + NAPSC(dedicated power supply unit)

The A1 is a natural partner for the T1 but I am leaning to the Headline as I have an unused NAPSC lying around for more than a year now.

I do know most folks here may not have listened to the Headline, but if given a choice which one would you go for? The Naim Headline is also considered to be a good and decent headphone amp, though not popular amongst Head-fi'ers here.

Not interested in other amp recommendations and just the two above.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2 of 7
Looking at the innards, the A1 appears to have more components packed in the box, though the power supply of the Headline is separate.

vs    

Beyerdynamic A1                                                         Naim Headline

Apr 30, 2012 at 9:49 AM Post #3 of 7
I would recommend the A1. I have heard the Naim Headline a few times and have never been impressed. Given the inflated price of Naim gear it is probably in the same class as average £200 amps. Looking at the picture of its innards its like most Naim gear and not worth the cost.
The A1 is made for the T1's so should be an excellent match.

You should be able to sell the NAPSC for a good price.

PS I used to own a £10000 Naim system a few years ago.

Apr 30, 2012 at 10:16 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the thoughts. Much appreciated. Similarly a Beyerdynamic T1/A1 owner on Audiogon suggested that I sell the NAPSC and go for the A1. I also felt that the A1 seems to offer more value than the Headline. Sound-wise may be superior as well being a natural partner for the T1. 

Though things may not seem as easy as it appears to be as I need to take cost into consideration. There is currently a used Headline for sale locally at £245. A brand new Beyerdynamic A1 is quite costly at where I live, approximately £750-850. I may be able to sell the NAPSC at around £150-200 but will still come up short for the A1. Will see how it goes.

So you are an ex-Naim user. I agree that prices of Naim gear are inflated for the past couple of years and there is a lot of competition these days that offer more value for less money, sound for pound. Nevertheless, I still own some Naim amps(NAC202/NAP200), touted to be the worst sounding amps Naim have ever made by some folks. Quite happy with the Naim system and will be staying put for a very long time. One thing is for sure though - I will not be going up the Naim ladder despite all the claims that NAC282 blows the NAC202 out of the water, or the NAC252 sounds broken next to the NAC552. Tough crowd even amongst Naim users, all on the Naim forum.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts. Much appreciated. Similarly a Beyerdynamic T1/A1 owner on Audiogon suggested that I sell the NAPSC and go for the A1. I also felt that the A1 seems to offer more value than the Headline. Sound-wise may be superior as well being a natural partner for the T1. 

Though things may not seem as easy as it appears to be as I need to take cost into consideration. There is currently a used Headline for sale locally at £245. A brand new Beyerdynamic A1 is quite costly at where I live, approximately £750-850. I may be able to sell the NAPSC at around £150-200 but will still come up short for the A1. Will see how it goes.

So you are an ex-Naim user. I agree that prices of Naim gear are inflated for the past couple of years and there is a lot of competition these days that offer more value for less money, sound for pound. Nevertheless, I still own some Naim amps(NAC202/NAP200), touted to be the worst sounding amps Naim have ever made by some folks. Quite happy with the Naim system and will be staying put for a very long time. One thing is for sure though - I will not be going up the Naim ladder despite all the claims that NAC282 blows the NAC202 out of the water, or the NAC252 sounds broken next to the NAC552. Tough crowd even amongst Naim users, all on the Naim forum.

Have you considered a tube amp?

When I auditioned for my first headphone setup I listened to the Headline and the Rega Ear out of the Naim CD5x,Rega Saturn and Cyrus CD8x (which I actually bought). Decided that both amps were sub-standard and ended up with the Graham Slee Solo which sounded so much better than the Naim or Rega in the shop.
I then decided I would like to try a tube amp and bought the Woo6se to go alongside the Solo. However the Woo totally eclipsed the Solo and it was sold in favour of the Audio-gd Roc which was far more competitive. As my system is now mainly balanced I am thinking of selling the Woo even though it still sounds superb.

I had the Naim 82 preamp, 140 power amp and a hicap, Naim SBL speakers and cable. My source was an LP12 Lingo/Naim ARO/Linn Arkive. I loved that system but to be honest I love my current system far more
biggrin.gif

Where about in UK do you live?

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Unfortunately I am not based in the UK and am in Asia. Otherwise I would have considered your Woo 6SE. Looks like I have to consider other alternatives other than the Headline now. Another forummer recommended the Graham Slee Voyager as a cheap alternative, though I would look at some long-term alternatives since the first headphone system that I am setting up now will my first and last, no upgrades after that. The Beyerdynamic T1 is more or less confirmed, brand new from the dealer.  I'll get to listen to both T1 and T5p, perhaps the HD800 and couple more, though my decision is already made even before I listen to any of these headphones.

Jun 21, 2012 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Unfortunately I am not based in the UK and am in Asia. Otherwise I would have considered your Woo 6SE. Looks like I have to consider other alternatives other than the Headline now. Another forummer recommended the Graham Slee Voyager as a cheap alternative, though I would look at some long-term alternatives since the first headphone system that I am setting up now will my first and last, no upgrades after that. The Beyerdynamic T1 is more or less confirmed, brand new from the dealer.  I'll get to listen to both T1 and T5p, perhaps the HD800 and couple more, though my decision is already made even before I listen to any of these headphones.

What did you end up doing? Who is your avatar? She is hot.....:D back to audio lol. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back