Help! Can't remove shure olives from SE530
Aug 27, 2008 at 10:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Woobies

Head-Fier
This is nearly impossible. It feels like the foam inserts are glued on or something. The directions say to twist and pull, but whenever I do, I'm only twisting the foam part around the hard rubber column that they're attached to. How can I remove these things without ruining them?

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Woobies /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is nearly impossible. It feels like the foam inserts are glued on or something.
How can I remove these things without ruining them?

Ruining them might be unavoidable on that 'first' removal. I ruined the first pair I took off. The foam came away from the inner core and I had to peel the core off the tube. It only happened the first time, and Shure sent me some replacement ones to cover it. I think there have been a few cases of the inner core getting stuck to the tube.

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #4 of 15
Finally got them off. Had to really muscle them off like you guys said. I even had to use my t-shirt to get a better grip on the foam. Luckily I didn't shred them. But wow, they sound much nicer with the smaller foams. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2008 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 15
Thats why I am afraid to use the foams some times, that I can't get them off. I always feel like I am going to break it..

Aug 28, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePandemonium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats why I am afraid to use the foams some times, that I can't get them off. I always feel like I am going to break it..

That's how I felt when I put a set of them on some Altec iM-616s. I felt I was going to twist the nozzle off removing them.

Aug 28, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by neezee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
had the same problem, but i managed to pull off the med. olives and put the small ones on hopefully ill never have to change them...

I think there was someone who tried to clean some Complys...Shure olives are about the same material as Complys...with alcohol and they were ruined. The only way to clean them, I believe, is in soapy water.

Aug 28, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flammadeao /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, what does the alcohol do to it?

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say. But I can guess and my guess would be breaking down the molecular structure of the foam much like gasoline (petro, to you Euros
smily_headphones1.gif
) will do to a Styrofoam coffee cup.

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:05 PM Post #13 of 15
I use isopropyl alcohol with no problems. I use the small antiseptic wipes and LIGHTLY wipe the foamie on the surface WITHOUT COMPRESSING IT. It takes all the oils off.

I found that when I completely submerged the foamies in soap and water they never had the same shape again.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that when I completely submerged the foamies in soap and water they never had the same shape again.

Same here. They lose their ability to "remember" a shape. So, for instance, if you compress them around the tube before insertion, they don't stay compressed long enough to insert.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arjisme /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Same here. They lose their ability to "remember" a shape. So, for instance, if you compress them around the tube before insertion, they don't stay compressed long enough to insert.

That's because they are still wet inside. I have that issue with the Complys when I've taken them out of my ear after a few hours in. I also have that issue when I get them wet. But when they fully dry they are the same as before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back