Help : Can't get WASAPI working with Windows 7 64-bit and Foobar2000
May 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

onlychild

500+ Head-Fier
Title says it. When I try to play a song, I get an "Unrecoverable playback error: Could not open device (88890020)" error.

I googled for about an hour and didn't really find a solution. Can WASAPI even work with a 64-bit OS?

I am playing regular CD FLACs (16-bit 44.1). All my sound settings in Windows 7 are set the same.

I do get playback with the DS: S/PDIF output, but it is not bit-perfect.

Everything was working fine with Vista 32-bit, but I don't really want to go back. Any suggestions?

May 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #2 of 7
WASAPI works for my in Vista 64 so it can certainly work in a 64 bit OS.

Apparently the solution is to set your buffer to 500ms or less. See below:

"Looking at Google Analytics I’ve found out that somebody came to this site looking for solution of WASAPI issue. Well, maybe it should be here

On builds before 7068 WASAPI was working as expected. But all newer builds (up to RC1 7100) cause it to throw “unrecoverable playback error: could not open device 88890020″.
I don’t know what exactly does it mean, but I know how to fix it. The default 1000 ms buffer size does not fit for some reason, so you should decrease it – 500 (and less) ms buffer is ok. Note that this number could vary for different hardware.

Well, maybe it’s not a perfect solution, but it does work for now!"

Taken from: Foobar2000 | wintense.com

May 9, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #3 of 7
I have it working - check your USB setting, update audio drivers, etc

Mine freaks out if something else is opened first like a game or media player - so open foobar and play

It works very easy with foobar, the wasapi plugin, and 64bit os

May 11, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #5 of 7
Very nice fix with the buffer! One less reason for me to go back to Vista (I'm going to anyway in a few days
tongue.gif
).

Nov 10, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #7 of 7
I found solution for my problem and like to share.

I use sb x-fi hd it work fine with KS on win xp but when i upgrade to use win 7 64bit KS is not work.
i try asio,waspi it still not work.
i try to adjust buffer and it had no effect.

I use resampler in dsp and set resampler target to 48000 or 96000 and output format can be 16 or 24 bit.

now it work !! this setting work both with KS and waspi and output format can be 16 or 24 bit.

But i don't know that each setting which sound better.can any one try and post result ?

thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back