HELP!!!! Can Fiio E9 work well with an 8 ohm old headphone?
Jan 30, 2011 at 10:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

cloudy616

New Head-Fier
Hello guys!
I'v just got a great old headphone (Kenwood KH 71, 1970), which has an inpedance of 8 ohm and maximun input power 0.5W.

Before I bought the headphone, I was informed that an extremely low inpedance headphone is even more hard to drive than hd650.
And when I got the KH 71, I find it really performs terribly with Fiio E7, Sony M10 (an excerllent recorder) and my laptop.
The volum is large enough but the sound is totally chaos..............
So I really hope to know whether the Fiio E9 can drive my old headphone well.

Could u PLS give me some advice? Thx a lot!

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2 of 9
Perhaps a speaker amp (either through the headphone jack on a good receiver/integrated, or straight from the power terminals with an adapter) would work better than anything else for a reasonable price?  They're plenty happy to run into 8 ohms, and will certainly not have any trouble with providing enough current.  You're probably running into current clipping with your current sources.

Those are pretty bizarre looking - the leather (or pleather) cups are crazy!  It looks like baby turtle shells or something...

Jan 30, 2011 at 11:26 AM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
Perhaps a speaker amp (either through the headphone jack on a good receiver/integrated, or straight from the power terminals with an adapter) would work better than anything else for a reasonable price?  They're plenty happy to run into 8 ohms, and will certainly not have any trouble with providing enough current.  You're probably running into current clipping with your current sources.

Those are pretty bizarre looking - the leather (or pleather) cups are crazy!  It looks like baby turtle shells or something...

Hi mate, it a good idea to try the heaphone on a speaker amp due to its low inpedance. Thx a lot!
Does it matter that the maximun input power of the headphone is 0.5W when connecting to a speaker amp?
Bur I really hope to know whether the E9 can work well with it because I don't have speaker amp.
PS. I really like KH 71's looking, LOL. One problem is it's too heavy, 500g.

Jan 30, 2011 at 12:24 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Quote:

Hi mate, it a good idea to try the heaphone on a speaker amp due to its low inpedance. Thx a lot!
Does it matter that the maximun input power of the headphone is 0.5W when connecting to a speaker amp?
Bur I really hope to know whether the E9 can work well with it because I don't have speaker amp.

I have no idea about the E9.  The specs show a minimum of 16 ohms, but that may just be because so few headphones are lower than that.  OTOH, it may be because it's not stable lower than 8 ohms, or has other issues.

I've got a Dayton DTA-1 amp, which I've just ordered some female 1/8" and 1/4" to stereo RCA cables for - I'm going to cut off the RCA ends and those will run straight into the speaker terminals.  It's stable down to 4 ohms, and is only capable of +/- 6 V - which is on par with other headphone amps, although there are plenty that will do more.  It can provide gobs of current - into 8 ohms it'll do about 6 Watts/channel.  That's not much for a speaker amp but more than any headphone amp I know of.  So, you won't have to worry about current clipping.

Oh, and it's on sale at Parts Express through February for only $34...  At that price it's worth it just for speakers, let along headphones.  I'm really impressed with it - it's every bit as detailed as my much more powerful Adcoms and Carvers.  It just doesn't have as much power.

I'll let you know how it performs when I get the cables - I'll only be running my HD 600s and MS-1is through it though.

Jan 30, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have no idea about the E9.  The specs show a minimum of 16 ohms, but that may just be because so few headphones are lower than that.  OTOH, it may be because it's not stable lower than 8 ohms, or has other issues.

I've got a Dayton DTA-1 amp, which I've just ordered some female 1/8" and 1/4" to stereo RCA cables for - I'm going to cut off the RCA ends and those will run straight into the speaker terminals.  It's stable down to 4 ohms, and is only capable of +/- 6 V - which is on par with other headphone amps, although there are plenty that will do more.  It can provide gobs of current - into 8 ohms it'll do about 6 Watts/channel.  That's not much for a speaker amp but more than any headphone amp I know of.  So, you won't have to worry about current clipping.

Oh, and it's on sale at Parts Express through February for only $34...  At that price it's worth it just for speakers, let along headphones.  I'm really impressed with it - it's every bit as detailed as my much more powerful Adcoms and Carvers.  It just doesn't have as much power.

I'll let you know how it performs when I get the cables - I'll only be running my HD 600s and MS-1is through it though.

Thx so much mate!!!!!

Jan 31, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #6 of 9
E9 can drive it ! but I don't know if it can drive it well! and it will not damage E9 because there are
protetive circuit inside E9!

Speakers amp is different with headphone amp! but of course you can have a try but take care
about the volume(output power from amp).

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 31, 2011 at 9:13 AM Post #7 of 9

E9 can drive it ! but I don't know if it can drive it well! and it will not damage E9 because there are

protetive circuit inside E9!

Speakers amp is different with headphone amp! but of course you can have a try but take care

about the volume(output power from amp).

Thx a lot!!
My e9 is on the way! LOL
Anxious waiting for the express!!

Jul 10, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
i thought lower ohms are easier to drive?

Power amplifier may experience "limits" in terms of both voltage and current. So when the load impedance is low, the amp may not be able to supply enough current above a certain playback level. 

Jack

Users who are viewing this thread

Back