Help: Cables, Coatings, and Headaches
Jul 3, 2007 at 7:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

peasleer

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

I've been lurking head-fi for a while, and am starting a Cmoy and an Alien DAC. While I've been waiting for parts, I have been reading a lot about the interconnects and cables people have been constructing.

I'm pretty sure I could build an interconnect myself just by following the sticky IC thread, but I honestly just don't understand some of the "why" behind things people are doing.

So as far as my understanding goes, you have the cable, which of course carries the signal:
1) Why is there a different sound between silver and copper? Is it because of the ability of the metal to conduct electricity?
2) What are the differences between "stranded" and "solid" wire? I understand stranded is split up, but when is this advantageous?
3) How thin is too thin? I see people building ICs for headphones using 28 gauge wire. Wouldn't that break quite easily? Where is the balance for strength to thickness for every-day use?
4) What is the purpose of Lutz braiding? What kinds of ICs benefit from it?

And you have the plugs at either end which are soldered to the wire:
5) Why would you use straight versus right-angle plugs or vice versa? Is it just for space requirements?
6) Related to question one above, why do the quality of plugs matter past a point of simple conductance?

And then you cover the insulated wire in some other cover (before putting on the plugs):
7) What are you looking for when you choose a cable cover? Strength, aesthetics? Do they actually modify the signal's signature?

And finally, I want to build my own IC, but I'd prefer doing things cheaply my first time around. So, for Cat5e (because I have a lot of it): what are the common beginner recommendations for plugs and cable tubing?

Thanks for the tips and help with my understanding!
580smile.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 5
1) It is the dielectrics that each possess. Wikipedia is your friend for this. Conductivity has almost nothing to do with it.
2)Stranded resists breaking a little more.
3)Most people use more than one strand in their ICs. Some even use 30AWG. It all depends on how flexible you want the cable to be.
4)Litz braiding is used to cut down on interference associated with the two wires.
5. It is all a matter of space. If you need an RA then use it. There is no sound advantage.
6) Poor quality can result in bad connections and such.
7)Aesthetics.

I was in a rush when I wrote this.

Jul 3, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 5
3) I don't know about 28 gauge, but 26 gauge silver seems to be thick enough for me, actually alot more robust than I thought it would be.

6) Wires are also simply conductors, do they make a difference?
wink.gif
I believe the plugs makes a difference too, just to what degree, and if my ear can tell.....

7) Cable cover provides protection for both the wires and the plugs. It might not matter right now but 5 years down the road the difference can be working strong and breaking down....
blink.gif

Jul 4, 2007 at 2:58 AM Post #4 of 5
1) It probably has to do with their atomic structures, but it doesn't really matter what's causing the difference.
2) Stranded is reputed to sound worse than solid.
3) For IC's carrying line or near line level signals, 28 AWG is perfectly fine.
5) Personal choice. DAP's with the headphone jack on the side really require a RA plug, though adapters can always be made.
6) Plug dielectric, mass, and a few other things matter.
7) Cable covers should be good dielectrics for the most part, and in the case of headphone cables, you need very soft materials and looseness to reduce microphonics. That isn't to say though that commercial silicone/rubber cables aren't any good since they're solid. It's just that for DIY, you can't do much more than the above.

Jul 4, 2007 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 5
These replies have been pretty helpful so far, thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) It is the dielectrics that each possess. Wikipedia is your friend for this. Conductivity has almost nothing to do with it.

For other newbs following the thread, here is the wikipedia link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectric - Dielectric

Quote:

Originally Posted by mminutel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2)Stranded resists breaking a little more.
3)Most people use more than one strand in their ICs. Some even use 30AWG. It all depends on how flexible you want the cable to be.
4)Litz braiding is used to cut down on interference associated with the two wires.

Not to be a proxy for wikipedia, but you were definitely right to suggest it as a resource. Their page on wire contains a *lot* of information, and the related links at the bottom contain a description of Litz wire and other useful stuff:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire - Wire

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Stranded is reputed to sound worse than solid.

Interesting. Does anyone have more information as to why this is? I'm having trouble finding information as to why this could be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
7) Cable covers should be good dielectrics for the most part, and in the case of headphone cables, you need very soft materials and looseness to reduce microphonics. That isn't to say though that commercial silicone/rubber cables aren't any good since they're solid. It's just that for DIY, you can't do much more than the above.

Again, for other newbs:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microphonics - Microphonics

After reading that, this reply made a lot of sense. It has spawned another question though: How loose should the cover be? Are you talking a tight fit with a flexible material, or a cover that is some size larger than the cable that will really be a loose fit?

Thanks again everyone for the replies, I'm learning a lot
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back