Help buying new over ear headphones & Sound Card/Amp/DAC setup!
Nov 29, 2013 at 7:22 AM Post #16 of 27
  Asus Xonar DX with the FiiO E11 amp sounds like a good combo.
Order the E11 with an extra battery.
On eBay they sell low cost batteries (BL-5B) for the E11, they might not hold as much charge for a given rating (mA) but the price is so good they are still the best value.

Do you reckon it would be worth just buying a sound card or external DAC and then buying an amp on top of that if it is needed (most of the headphones I am looking at and currently have do not seem to be particularly hard to drive)? I ask this as I am wondering if amps do anything more than just increase volume and play with EQ settings or if they actually increase sound quality as well.

Nov 29, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #17 of 27
  Do you reckon it would be worth just buying a sound card or external DAC and then buying an amp on top of that if it is needed (most of the headphones I am looking at and currently have do not seem to be particularly hard to drive)? I ask this as I am wondering if amps do anything more than just increase volume and play with EQ settings or if they actually increase sound quality as well.

I good headphone amplifier applies power to the headphone in the right way, compared to an "unamped" jack.

Nov 29, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #18 of 27
Yes, the Sennheisers have a good balanced, analytic sound with good body for it's price. I understand that's not what you're looking for now, I only did a quick read-over of your post at first, but did you look into the MRD-XB500's I recommended? They are discontinued but should still be pretty easy to find, but for your price range you might go for the XB700's. But I was really only recommending you look into those because they are all I have experience with. I have a very similar sound preference to you, so if you would like I can give some more recommendations but they would be based purely on my research of other's reviews etc.

EDIT: I was doing some research for you, and found that Australian prices are way different... I was surprised when you said the DT770's were out of your price range because they are 149 here.. so I found some Australian shop sites & saw what you meant, BUT I also found this http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/audio-technica-ath-m50-coiled-studio-headphones-in-black right in your price range and probably the best you'll get for it. Check out some reviews on them on head-fi, I think they would be perfect for you. 

Best regards,
ZokharaFi

Nov 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #19 of 27
  Yes, the Sennheisers have a good balanced, analytic sound with good body for it's price. I understand that's not what you're looking for now, I only did a quick read-over of your post at first, but did you look into the MRD-XB500's I recommended? They are discontinued but should still be pretty easy to find, but for your price range you might go for the XB700's. But I was really only recommending you look into those because they are all I have experience with. I have a very similar sound preference to you, so if you would like I can give some more recommendations but they would be based purely on my research of other's reviews etc.

EDIT: I was doing some research for you, and found that Australian prices are way different... I was surprised when you said the DT770's were out of your price range because they are 149 here.. so I found some Australian shop sites & saw what you meant, BUT I also found this http://www.addictedtoaudio.com.au/product/audio-technica-ath-m50-coiled-studio-headphones-in-black right in your price range and probably the best you'll get for it. Check out some reviews on them on head-fi, I think they would be perfect for you. 

Best regards,
ZokharaFi

Thanks for your input mate. Yeah the prices over here are pretty ridiculous and addicted to audio is where I bought my Audio Technica ATH-ES7's from. Basically for me I have to decide between the M50's and Ultrasone DJ1's as they are both sold by there and for around the $150 mark. The XB500's are pretty much a no show here in Aus apart from international ebay which sucks and I haven't been able to find anyone else who sells the XB700.

Nov 29, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #20 of 27
  I good headphone amplifier applies power to the headphone in the right way, compared to an "unamped" jack.

Okay then I have to decide between the Xonar DGX or DX/DSX + Amp. 
Xonar DGX = $42
Xonar DX + Fiio E11 = $84 + $60 = $144
Xonar DSX + Fiio E11 = $52 + $60 = $112

Do you think the price differences between them would be worth it? Unsure if there are any other amps that would be worth my time looking at than the Fiio E11. I am also looking at a DAC like the Fiio D3 but I think a sound card may be better as I play games and watch movies also.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 27
Xonar DGX = $42

Do you think the price differences between them would be worth it? Unsure if there are any other amps that would be worth my time looking at than the Fiio E11. I am also looking at a DAC like the Fiio D3 but I think a sound card may be better as I play games and watch movies also.

Go with a Fiio E11 combo. It's a damn good amp, especially for your bassy preference. 

"Fiio E11
Build Quality: ●●●●◎ (Unique design with a plus of replaceable battery)
Power: ●●●●● (Plenty for most)
Output Impedance: ●●●●● (0.15 Ω)
Portability: ●●●◎○ (Smaller than most full size)
Speed: ●●●●● (Good in attack)
Transparency: ●●●●◎ (Good in rendering depth and layer)
Soundstage: ●●●●○ (Decent)
Coloration / Neutrality: ●●●●◎ (Mostly neutral with slightly more bass body)

EMI: ●●●●○(Slightly susceptible, annoying but acceptable)
Hissing: ●●●◎○ (Slightly hissy)" 
-http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

Also you might consider the Fiio E7, E07k, or E17, as they are both a DAC and Amp in one. I have been recommended most strongly the E07k, and of the 3 it is the median priced one at $89 I think, and should be all you need to power your headphones... but then again the E11 is built for bass... your call mate :)

Hope I helped, Best regards,
ZokharaFi

EDIT: If you're mainly a computer user you really ought to go with a sound card, it would be a lot cheaper way to go than a portable DAC.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #22 of 27
Xonar DGX = $42

Get the Xonar DGX, should be ok with any headphone, up to 150-Ohms.
and get the 60-Ohm Takstar Pro 80 headphones.
With all the leftover cash, think how much Vegemite you could buy.

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #23 of 27
  Go with a Fiio E11 combo. It's a damn good amp, especially for your bassy preference. 

"Fiio E11
Build Quality: ●●●●◎ (Unique design with a plus of replaceable battery)
Power: ●●●●● (Plenty for most)
Output Impedance: ●●●●● (0.15 Ω)
Portability: ●●●◎○ (Smaller than most full size)
Speed: ●●●●● (Good in attack)
Transparency: ●●●●◎ (Good in rendering depth and layer)
Soundstage: ●●●●○ (Decent)
Coloration / Neutrality: ●●●●◎ (Mostly neutral with slightly more bass body)

EMI: ●●●●○(Slightly susceptible, annoying but acceptable)
Hissing: ●●●◎○ (Slightly hissy)" 
-http://www.head-fi.org/t/596482/the-sub-100-portable-amps-shootout-11-1-amps-compared

Also you might consider the Fiio E7, E07k, or E17, as they are both a DAC and Amp in one. I have been recommended most strongly the E07k, and of the 3 it is the median priced one at $89 I think, and should be all you need to power your headphones... but then again the E11 is built for bass... your call mate :)

Hope I helped, Best regards,
ZokharaFi

EDIT: If you're mainly a computer user you really ought to go with a sound card, it would be a lot cheaper way to go than a portable DAC.

I think I may go with a sound card as for the moment most of my audio listening will be on my computer and I am an avid gamer. I'm just unsure whether or not it is worth actually paying over $100 for a DAC/AMP solution (the DX or DSX + the Fiio) for when my headphones (and the new one I will be getting) are at a maximum of around $150. The DGX has a built in amplifier which I've read is similar to the Fiio E6 so for $36 (it went down in price) seems like a pretty good cheaper solution over onboard audio. I leaning slightly towards that option due to the price differences and if worse comes to worst I can always sell it and go with one of the other options. If I also dislike the amp in it I will probably buy the Fiio E11 anyway. 

Nov 30, 2013 at 1:24 AM Post #24 of 27

Get the Xonar DGX, should be ok with any headphone, up to 150-Ohms.
and get the 60-Ohm Takstar Pro 80 headphones.
With all the leftover cash, think how much Vegemite you could buy.

Yeah I'm thinking similar sort of things to that. I think I've narrowed my headphone options to really the M50's, that takstar and the Ultrasone DJ1's. What is the sound signature like on the Takstars and if you've tried either of the other headphones how does it compare to them overall? 

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 27
  Yeah I'm thinking similar sort of things to that. I think I've narrowed my headphone options to really the M50's, that Takstar and the Ultrasone DJ1's. What is the sound signature like on the Takstars and if you've tried either of the other headphones how does it compare to them overall? 

I've tried the ATH-M50s for a few minutes (bassy), the Takstar are roughly in the same (DT770/M50) ballpark, with the Takstars being a little more balanced then the M50s.
Have no idea on the Ultrasone DJ1.

Nov 30, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #26 of 27
  I've tried the ATH-M50s for a few minutes (bassy), the Takstar are roughly in the same (DT770/M50) ballpark, with the Takstars being a little more balanced then the M50s.

I found a guy on ebay here in Australia who sells the Takstar for $69 but with a 3 month satisfaction guarantee where if you dislike the product you can get a refund but you have to pay return shipping. I may buy that and if I don't like it return it. Not 100% sure yet as to what I will buy but getting closer.

Dec 8, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #27 of 27

Bought the DGX for $40 from local computer store here and I gotta say the improvement over onboard audio is just remarkable. Should've made this investment a long time ago thanks! Still unsure as to which headphone to get though. Like before I've kind of narrowed my search down to the M50's, the Pro80 and the DJ1's. The DJ1's sound quality from reviews seem to probably be a bit better than the other two but I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $90 over the Takstar's or if the comfort issues people are having will take effect as I will be using them for long periods at a time. Just pondering away before I get one for Christmas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back