Help Buying Entry Level IEMs
Aug 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM Post #16 of 32
Quote:
I have an HP Envy series laptop. The sound is horrible compared to the S4. Oh and I have the i9500 not the i9505.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

That's an easy fix by getting an USB DAC for it.  I recommend the AudioQuest DragonFly or the Sony PHA-1.

Yeah I know but I'm not looking to spending that much money right now. I'm only just now getting into improving sound quality.

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk 4

Aug 13, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #17 of 32
I wonder why I'm the only one who feels the S3/S4 SQ is bad. My entry level laptop (HP Probook 4410S) sounds so much better.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #19 of 32
I just bought my first pair of IEM's - Shure SE215.  Love them, but then, they are all that I know.  I chose them after spending a lot of time reading reviews for earbuds around the 100.00 mark.

Aug 13, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 32
A friend and headfier dannybai recommended to me recently to look at a few of these ones under 100$:
Nuforce 700x
Zero audio carbo tenore and basso
RE-400
Vsonic VSD1 VSD1S

And over 100:
Philips Fidelio S1/S2
KEF M200

This is all newer stuff like late 2012 and 2013 and I was on headfi hiatus :). There are other older great choices that you will find if you scour through threads and the iem thread by joker.

If you haven't had any good IEMs before maybe just choose based on overall comfort and one that might suit your music style based on reviews. Have fun man!

Aug 14, 2013 at 1:27 AM Post #22 of 32
Scratch what I said earlier I did not catch everything you said in the first post.

I think you would enjoy the eph100 sound but I hesitate to recommend it because it doesn't inspire confidence when it comes to durability. (Thin wires, mine personally cutting out in less than half a year...)

Maybe look at gr07be or if you want to save some bucks the trade forum will have some jvc fxt90 or fxd80 you can snatch up for 50$ and enjoy I reckon.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #23 of 32
Scratch what I said earlier I did not catch everything you said in the first post.

I think you would enjoy the eph100 sound but I hesitate to recommend it because it doesn't inspire confidence when it comes to durability. (Thin wires, mine personally cutting out in less than half a year...)

Maybe look at gr07be or if you want to save some bucks the trade forum will have some jvc fxt90 or fxd80 you can snatch up for 50$ and enjoy I reckon.

Sadly the eph-100 isn't an option anymore. Price was $113 on amazon when I was considering it. Now it's at $150.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #24 of 32
Found something that might suit you very well:

CKM500i (mic+controls)
It's on the bassy side and a fun iem. You should go read up in the appreciation thread.

should be found on eBay for around 70$ example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKM500iS-BK-Black-Headphones-for-Smartphone-/360718212165

The mic one is not sold directly by amazon so u end up paying for shipping..ends up more expensive.

Aug 14, 2013 at 2:32 AM Post #25 of 32
Found something that might suit you very well:

CKM500i (mic+controls)
It's on the bassy side and a fun iem. You should go read up in the appreciation thread.

should be found on eBay for around 70$ example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-CKM500iS-BK-Black-Headphones-for-Smartphone-/360718212165

The mic one is not sold directly by amazon so u end up paying for shipping..ends up more expensive.

I'll check it out. I'm not going to be ordering them though. I'll be going to Fry's the day after tomorrow to finally buy some.

Aug 14, 2013 at 4:36 AM Post #26 of 32
Well a lot has been already said but I want to add one more thing about Shure SE215s. They are great headphones but I suggest you to try them before buying. If you didn't use the top wearing iem before you might find it difficult to use. In SE215 cables go over your ear. This makes it a bit harder than put on and off. If you decide to buy SE215 I suggest you to buy microphone phone cable as well so you can easily stop to music when you need to talk to someone on the street. Otherwise taking your phone out of your pocket to stop the music is really annoying and time consuming. Taking them off and putting them on in an instant is out of question. Keep these in mind. I bought SE215 SE for my girlfriend once and she can't really use them because of stated reasons. I personally don't care about it. One more pair of headphones for me :p

Aug 14, 2013 at 10:43 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:
I'm surprised that no one mentioned the Klipsch X10. They are in the top of your budget at $130 though, but what do others think?

It's not bad but no longer being my value champ for recommendation.  If you can get the SA1 for $40 and the X10 for $100 with about the same sound and package, then which one will you pick?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back