Jul 20, 2018 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Basem88

New Head-Fier
Hello

My total budget for headset and AMP/DAC is $800 to $900

I want to buy Sennheiser HD600 or HD660s
Can you help me which one is better ?
I will also use it for Gaming and Movies more than Music xD

I have read some reviews said HD660s not worth to pay extra $200 !!

about AMP/DAC some ppl told me JDS THE ELEMENT is good.
Should I buy it or there is any other AMP/DAC better with same price range $350 to $400 ??

Thank You

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 9
Jul 20, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #3 of 9
I want to buy Sennheiser HD600 or HD660s
Can you help me which one is better ?
I will also use it for Gaming and Movies more than Music xD

HD600 has a 3500hz peak and rolls off earlier at the low end. HD660S is basically a 150ohm version of the HD650, which, compared to the HD600, is smoother above 1000hz, reaches lower freqs, overall it's technically better.

The thing with the HD660S though is that it's 150ohms. That's easier on amps that really drop output as load impedance goes up, but you can't just grab a relatively cheap OTL tube amp that delivers peak performance at 300ohms to 600ohms. The sensitivity is also slightly lower, but depending on the amp, the higher output at 150ohms may or may not compensate for that.

I have read some reviews said HD660s not worth to pay extra $200 !!

If you compare it to the HD650, then not really. There's also the HD6XX on Massdrop which is basically the HD650 (and still 300ohms) for $200 if there's an active drop, Given people tend to own really powerful amps that won't drop output at high impedance, or you can get a relatively affordable OTL amp for the 300ohm headphones, then some don't feel the need to get a lower impedance headphone that also has lower sensitivity.

about AMP/DAC some ppl told me JDS THE ELEMENT is good.
Should I buy it or there is any other AMP/DAC better with same price range $350 to $400 ??

Try the AudioGD NFB-11. Or if you're set on the HD650 or HD6XX, or HD600, and you're sure you won't use lower impedance headphones, you can get the Darkvoice DV336se and any DAC (ex ODAC Rev B or Modi2).

Jul 21, 2018 at 2:16 PM Post #4 of 9
Audio-GD NFB-11.28, around $380 (shipping included) delivered to your door.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFN1128/NFB1128EN.htm
I'm guessing the HD600/HD660 are not the best choice for FPS gaming, but great for everything else.

HD600 has a 3500hz peak and rolls off earlier at the low end. HD660S is basically a 150ohm version of the HD650, which, compared to the HD600, is smoother above 1000hz, reaches lower freqs, overall it's technically better.

The thing with the HD660S though is that it's 150ohms. That's easier on amps that really drop output as load impedance goes up, but you can't just grab a relatively cheap OTL tube amp that delivers peak performance at 300ohms to 600ohms. The sensitivity is also slightly lower, but depending on the amp, the higher output at 150ohms may or may not compensate for that.

If you compare it to the HD650, then not really. There's also the HD6XX on Massdrop which is basically the HD650 (and still 300ohms) for $200 if there's an active drop, Given people tend to own really powerful amps that won't drop output at high impedance, or you can get a relatively affordable OTL amp for the 300ohm headphones, then some don't feel the need to get a lower impedance headphone that also has lower sensitivity.

Try the -11. Or if you're set on the HD650 or HD6XX, or HD600, and you're sure you won't use lower impedance headphones, you can get the Darkvoice DV336se and any DAC (ex ODAC Rev B or Modi2).

Thank you guys for helping

For some reason I cant have AudioGD NFB... I was thinking of buying ( Aune X7s Class A) what do you think ?
and what dac should I buy with it ?

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2018 at 2:34 PM Post #5 of 9
For some reason I cant have AudioGD NFB... I was thinking of buying ( Aune X7s Class A) what do you think ?
and what dac should I buy with it ?

You'll need a balanced cable to maximize the power from that. If you don't have a DAC or CDP or TT, it's highly advisable to get a DAC for that too.

Add those to the cost - roughly $100 for the Modi2 (USB input only) and roughly $50 for the balanced cable assuming you can get the more affordable ones on Amazon and eBay, and you end up with a total of $400, and maybe individual shipping prices. You could end up spending as much or more than what an NFB-11 costs.

Jul 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 9
You'll need a balanced cable to maximize the power from that. If you don't have a DAC or CDP or TT, it's highly advisable to get a DAC for that too.

Add those to the cost - roughly $100 for the Modi2 (USB input only) and roughly $50 for the balanced cable assuming you can get the more affordable ones on Amazon and eBay, and you end up with a total of $400, and maybe individual shipping prices. You could end up spending as much or more than what an NFB-11 costs.

Yes I know I'll end up spending more than what NBF-11 cost.. I cant buy NBF because of shipping problem.
And I need XLR feature.
Now I dont know if should I buy Aune X7s + DAC or Schiit Jotunheim or there is better option with same price or less ?

Aune X7s = $300 + DAC = still dont know what dac ?
Schiit Jotunheim = $450
prices include shipping to my country.

Jul 22, 2018 at 12:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Yes I know I'll end up spending more than what NBF-11 cost.. I cant buy NBF because of shipping problem.

Just note that when I pointed out prices I took estimated shipping costs into account. NFB-11 : $370 + $80 = $450. You'll still undercut the Jotunheim unless you really need balanced drive.

And I need XLR feature.

Note that in case you need for a balanced source the X7S won't work since it only has single ended inputs.

Now I dont know if should I buy Aune X7s + DAC or Schiit Jotunheim or there is better option with same price or less ?

Aune X7s = $300 + DAC = still dont know what dac ?
Schiit Jotunheim = $450
prices include shipping to my country.

You can get the Modi2 or a JDS Labs ODAC (or Head N HiFi's ODAC if you're in Europe) for the X7S.

And did you check the price on that Jotunheim? The base Jotunheim is $399. If that $450 includes shipping then you need another $100 or so for the optional built in DAC card.

HF_26.jpg

Jul 22, 2018 at 4:21 PM Post #8 of 9
Just note that when I pointed out prices I took estimated shipping costs into account. NFB-11 : $370 + $80 = $450. You'll still undercut the Jotunheim unless you really need balanced drive.

Note that in case you need for a balanced source the X7S won't work since it only has single ended inputs.

You can get the Modi2 or a JDS Labs ODAC (or Head N HiFi's ODAC if you're in Europe) for the X7S.

And did you check the price on that Jotunheim? The base Jotunheim is $399. If that $450 includes shipping then you need another $100 or so for the optional built in DAC card.

Thank you for helping

sorry man I really dont have any experience.and am soo confused about "Balanced" !

And I dont know do I really need Balanced.. Is the difference huge between Balanced and Unbalanced ?

So, do I have to add the "Balanced DAC" option ?? its not like Jotunheim already have balanced source ?

About Aune X7S.. I see that it has Balanced source infront and even the name is " Aune X7s Class A Balanced Headphone AMP " !!

Thank you

Jul 22, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 9
sorry man I really dont have any experience.and am soo confused about "Balanced" !

Wait...why would you want something that operates or has benefits you don't fully understand?

And I dont know do I really need Balanced.. Is the difference huge between Balanced and Unbalanced ?

A balanced drive circuit basically gives a separate - to each channel so you get L+, L-, R-, R+, instead of the usual single ended L+, GND, R+.

It typically allows for a relatively compact circuit to produce more power provided they get a beefy power supply design...except now you need more of the same circuits to operate L+,L- and R-,R+, or in the case of the most complex balanced amps, a separate one channel board that normally operates one channel's + and then a shared ground to run each L+, L-, R-, R+. Look at the Beta 22 in balanced format - you'll need FOUR of the amp boards just to run it in balanced mode.

One way to think about it is like how an F15 has two engines to fly higher and prompt a response then win air superiority, then stick around or get a new squadron in to back up the attacking F16s plus the A10's providing close support to the ground troops; or how some single engine jets are lightweight with a low payload of just AA missiles designed for very fast climb rate being used as interceptors. Or how a Tesla has two engines (except here it's operating asymmetrically, ie, the rear engine has 100hp more than the front engine) instead of going for a single 4.2L twin turbocharged V8 with Quattro All Wheel Drive like Audi.

Bu then again, as much as it helps a relatively small circuit, you'd need several of them anyway. The Schiit Jotunheim is the same size as the Lyr, and the latter has even more power. Personally I'd get the Jotunheim more for sending a balanced preamp signal to active speakers like the KRK Rokit 6 (although one reason to get KRKs is that they come with single ended RCA inputs, so the risk of noise is virtually eliminated apart from the quality of the preamp circuit being used). The advantages to size and output is more prevalent on portable amps.

The primary design requirement then however was to just completely separate the left and right circuits so you get less crosstalk, which helps imaging on speakers. You can't have this if you don't have a fully balanced system, ie, the entire analogue signal from the DAC chips' output has to be separate already, otherwise you're just using an SE input balanced drive amp to boost the power. And just like with the size of the Class A/B Jotunheim and Lyr, in cheaper Class A amplifiers, why spend $250+balanced cables on the X7S when you can just buy a Schiit Asgard and no need for a balanced cable?

Oh and before you ask, no, you can't just use a female XLR to female TRS converter on the headphone amp output to headphone to use a balanced amp on a single-ended cable headphone. Unless you want to destroy the amp, in which case, that would be perfect short of just taking a hammer and smashing it, since it might give you smoke and if you're lucky, a lot more than smoke and take the rest of your house with it.

https://www.headphone.com/pages/balanced-headphones-guide

So, do I have to add the "Balanced DAC" option ?? its not like Jotunheim already have balanced source ?

Well do you have a balanced source, like a balanced CDP, DAC, or even a TT preamp? If you already own a balanced source then no problem. Otherwise the DAC card option is the best option since for $100 you'll get something that outputs a balanced line output signal right into the balanced circuit of the Jotunheim.

And then you'll just need a balanced cable that separates the GND into L- and R-.

About Aune X7S.. I see that it has Balanced source infront and even the name is " Aune X7s Class A Balanced Headphone AMP " !!

Uhhhh...it seems like balanced vs unbalanced isn't the only thing that's unclear here. It does NOT have inputs in front, it has inputs in the rear, which are all single-ended RCA. Then it has an XLR balanced drive output for headphones out the front of the amp. As in input goes into the amplifier, then output goes out from the amplifier. Like if I'm your boss, I assign you something, that's input; then you hand over your work, which is output. If I presented something I will ask for your input, and I revise my output based on that.

HF_28.jpg
HF_27.jpg

In any case, it takes a single ended signal and then runs it through a circuit that splits the ground and mirrors the signal making it run balanced, but as with things of this complexity, in some cases it caps the max output of the amp vs starting with a balanced signal to begin with, and in this case you're not getting the increased channel separation of balanced drive you might as well spend $250 on an Asgard and not have to buy balanced cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back