Help building a small Volume control knob the size/shape of Audioquest Jitterbug?
Feb 9, 2017 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Bubblejuice

500+ Head-Fier
I want to add the ability to precisely control volume to my Dragonfly Red while connected to my Iphone, but I want to keep it as portable as possible.
I've seen many headphone cables bring a little controller with a volume wheel.

I was wondering if that kind of system could be applied in USB form to make a volume control with a small flat knob about the size of the AudioQuest Jitterbug to put between the Dragonfly and the Lightning adapter.

I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Feb 15, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 9
  I want to add the ability to precisely control volume to my Dragonfly Red while connected to my Iphone, but I want to keep it as portable as possible.
I've seen many headphone cables bring a little controller with a volume wheel.

I was wondering if that kind of system could be applied in USB form to make a volume control with a small flat knob about the size of the AudioQuest Jitterbug to put between the Dragonfly and the Lightning adapter.

I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks in advance for any help!

If you want to put it between the Dragonfly and adapter, it cannot be made because the signal hasn't been processed by the Dragonfly yet. Your best bet is to put a volume control after the Dragonfly. A cheap way is to get one of those dollar store headphones that comes with an in line volume control. Usually they're the ones that has a mic for computer usage.
You can cut off the cables and open the volume control housing, and proceed with your own cable with one male 1/4" jack on one end and a female on the other.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 9
  If you want to put it between the Dragonfly and adapter, it cannot be made because the signal hasn't been processed by the Dragonfly yet. Your best bet is to put a volume control after the Dragonfly. A cheap way is to get one of those dollar store headphones that comes with an in line volume control. Usually they're the ones that has a mic for computer usage.
You can cut off the cables and open the volume control housing, and proceed with your own cable with one male 1/4" jack on one end and a female on the other.

Yeah sorry, I kind of realized that right before I read your comment haha. Thank you for pointing that out! Now... I wonder, wouldn't I still be able to put some kind of current limiter as a volume adjustment before the DAC? (I don't know much about electronics so i'm just curious).

But yeah, I think making some kind of better form factor after the DAC is my best option. Hopefully it doesn't mess up the sound though...

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 9

Yeah sorry, I kind of realized that right before I read your comment haha. Thank you for pointing that out! Now... I wonder, wouldn't I still be able to put some kind of current limiter as a volume adjustment before the DAC? (I don't know much about electronics so i'm just curious).

But yeah, I think making some kind of better form factor after the DAC is my best option. Hopefully it doesn't mess up the sound though...

There are digital volume controls in some preamps and DACs but its done somewhere in the DAC hardware stage. Prior to that if you want to change the volume before the DAC, as far as I know it is software based.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 9
  There are digital volume controls in some preamps and DACs but its done somewhere in the DAC hardware stage. Prior to that if you want to change the volume before the DAC, as far as I know it is software based.

Oh ok, that definitely makes sense.

Do you think the device you linked me would mess with the audio quality at all? (I would probably end up snipping almost all of the 4' of cable it brings though)

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 9
I doubt there will be quality concerns. Imagine how the connectors for your audio jack has a surface area of roughly the tip of a needle, but we use them for all headphones from the lowest to the highest end. A volume potentiometer isn't going to affect much, even if it does it would be negligible.

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #7 of 9
  I doubt there will be quality concerns. Imagine how the connectors for your audio jack has a surface area of roughly the tip of a needle, but we use them for all headphones from the lowest to the highest end. A volume potentiometer isn't going to affect much, even if it does it would be negligible.

Oh ok, awesome! I really appreciate your help. It definitely solved a big question for me. Thank you once again!

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 9
It's still on my mind, and something I want to get to. But I'm still new with electronics and I haven't had time to delve into it. I've been linked this one, that can definitely be modded to be a little more convenient: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00001P4XH/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=CC71VLDAJCBC&coliid=I3UOZ5TSISWOE8&psc=1

But so far, I've not made much progress.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back