Help building a META42
Dec 5, 2002 at 3:43 AM Post #31 of 38
Quote:

my mom almost had a heart attack when i told her a top of the line amp costs $3000.

Have some fun with her:

Sony MDR-R10

Sony_MDR-R10_small.jpg

MSRP $3,999.00

Dec 5, 2002 at 4:49 AM Post #33 of 38
Yeah, but in reality that is a headphone/amp combo. However it does come with a lock and key.
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2002 at 5:17 PM Post #34 of 38
for an alps blue velvet 50K pot, would the correct resistance for R2 be 500K using it to limit the current going to a clear blue LED, 4.9V, 2-5 mA, 3mm?

If this is going to be a home unit, would D1 still be more appropriate than D2, if the main powersource is AC? What about the case and power caps?

Dec 5, 2002 at 10:34 PM Post #35 of 38
what do you guys think of this:

- AD620 op-amp
- 5 EL2002 stacked buffers
- 4 ELNA Cerafine 470uF/25V caps (not sure of part #)
- 6.8 uF Wima caps
- .22 uF C1
- Blue velvet pot
- multiloop with default gain setup on schematic
- cascoded JFETs
- wall and 2 9v battery powered
- Hammond 1455N1601 case (do i need to punch holes in this?)
- 1/4" neutric stero output
- RCA inputs
- LED, clear blue, 4.9V, 2-5 mA, 3mm
- Vishay/Dale RN55D resistors
- rocker power switch
- Cardas Quad Eutectic solder

not sure what wires to use to connect jacks and jumper, or wheather to use D1 or D2 and what value of R2 to use with that pot and LED.

well, what do you think? Probably pretty expensive huh, i need to buy a good soldering iron too, i'm used to ones with temperature control, but i think those might be too expensive.

Dec 6, 2002 at 2:59 AM Post #36 of 38
I would go with the biggest caps that would fit on the board for C1. I was able to get .47 uF polypropylene to fit. They don't fit snug against the board, but they fit.

As for soldering irons, I use a cheap ($7.00) Radio Shack 15W iron for most of this stuff. Just make sure the iron is grounded (three prong plug) and use the smallest tip you can get.

Dec 6, 2002 at 3:31 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Mystic
I would go with the biggest caps that would fit on the board for C1. I was able to get .47 uF polypropylene to fit. They don't fit snug against the board, but they fit.

As for soldering irons, I use a cheap ($7.00) Radio Shack 15W iron for most of this stuff. Just make sure the iron is grounded (three prong plug) and use the smallest tip you can get.

Hmm, if you can, I'd get a soldering iron that let's you control the heat. Personally, I used this variable transformer, which let me decide how much power I wanted to the soldering iron. Trust me: you do NOT want a lot of heat near those 86*0 opamps.
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back