Help building a cmoy amp - cmoy vs. cmoybb?
Feb 23, 2010 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

lasraik

100+ Head-Fier
After doing some reading on amps, I decided before I drop a few hundred on a nice amp that I would start with a cmoy just to get an understanding on how (or if) it would be worthwhile.

I searched the forums and on ebay but after doing some reading I figured instead of buying one I'd try to build one myself. But I did have a few questions and was hoping to get some help (I tried searching the forums, I apologize if these are answered someplace else already)

I found this blog entry with a tutorial and parts list for the amp. Are these parts outdated? From what I understand some parts have been upgraded.

Are kits with all the parts online worth doing or better to pick up the parts yourself from radio shack or mouser?

I would rather buy from a head-fi user if I straight out bought one, but the idea of building one sounds like fun.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Feb 23, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 49
Tangent's site is the best for building the cmoy, you wont go wrong if you follow the instructions to the letter, that ebay amp is IMO rubbish

Good luck with the amp
normal_smile .gif

cheers
FRED

Feb 26, 2010 at 3:57 AM Post #5 of 49
After doing some reading on the cmoybb's I'm thinking about going that route instead.

I'm rocking a pair of ATH-ES7's and I've read that the bb edition pushes them better than the standard cmoy.

Is there a huge difference or is it negligible?

Feb 26, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 49
Hi Guys,
I need some help whit a CMoy so I decided to write here and not open another Thread.
I finished assambling it and I have clear stereo sound but just at a low level. When I increase the level the distorsion level its very high!! its peaks continuosly.
I've took out the poti but whit no luck also the swicher and the R5 and olso no luck
frown.gif

Any one have any idea?

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #9 of 49
Feb 27, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #11 of 49
Feb 27, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #12 of 49
Sorry, forgot to add detail, was doing some searching. I'm missing the

Alps RK0971221Z05 10k Volume Potentiometer

Texas Instruments TLE2426CLP

I've done some searching but haven't had luck, most of the online stores I've found have a $50 minimum per order and these will be something like $5 without shipping.

Anyone know where I might be able to order them?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Feb 27, 2010 at 2:02 AM Post #13 of 49
Feb 27, 2010 at 2:59 AM Post #15 of 49
Not to derail your plan, but another option is the JDSlabs cmoy BB PCB. That was my first built. You'll probably learn more with tangent's way... but thought it was worth mentioning at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back