Help! Brutal sibilance with my HR Ultra Micro Amp
Nov 19, 2009 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

backwardsname

Head-Fier
As a preface, I'm not sure if this an amp/dac issue, or a headphone issue, so any opinions on that would be welcome, as well as any solutions to my problem.

So, yesterday my new amp and DAC arrived (HeadRoom Ultra Micros, both). Plugged them in, loved them immediately, and spent most of yesterday listening and burning them in. Everything was smooth and wonderful, and I was having a great time. I distinctly noticed that the amount of sibilance I heard was noticeably reduced from what I was hearing on my old setup.

My D2000s should theoretically be burned-in, as I've had them for over a month, and listened to them for between 6 and 12 hours a day.

Anyway, I leave the office last night having thoroughly enjoyed my listening session from the day. I'm pretty positive I turned off the amp and DAC, which are plugged into a surge protector, turned off my computer, set the 'phones down on the table (don't have a stand), and left.

This morning I come in, turn everything on and start listening, and hear this ridiculous level of sibilance. It's preventing me from turning up songs that I was blasting yesterday to the volume I want them at -- the grain on cymbals and s, t, and f sounds on vocals is killing my ears.

What could have possibly changed? The plug feels slightly looser in the jack today than it did when I got the new system yesterday -- it gets jerked around occasionally, and I think it accidentally came unplugged once (the amp was on), but I'm pretty sure it was basically the same by the time I left last night.

It gets very cold in this office overnight, but that happens every night, and my components arrived positively freezing from being in the unheated back of a UPS truck. I don't know if temperature is even relevant, but I figured I'd throw it out there.

The reason I guessed this was an issue with the amp or DAC is because they provided such a noticeable reduction in sibilance just yesterday, and now today it's become really distracting and even painful -- it's like all the smoothness in the highs just disappeared.

Or is this maybe a headphone issue?

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 14
well I know what you mean. The same thing happened to me with D7000s. One day I'm listening and its beautiful and I can't stop. The next day I can't bare to have them on for more then 5 minutes. It was heart breaking to say the least. I have ordered some Jmoney pads to see if it will help. If not I may be stuck with a $600 paper weight.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 14
There is always a chance that the weather has affected your hearing; its been cold and windy today - a touch of cold can make a big difference.

Nov 19, 2009 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 14
Hm. Just plugged some Grado SR 60i phones in and didn't hear any less sibilance, so I think I can rule out the headphones as the source of this problem.

Additionally, after about two hours of music so far today (skipping songs that have been too sibilant), it doesn't sound quite as bad, and I had my co-worker listen to my cans and he said he can't hear much in the way of sibilance at all, on songs where it's very apparent to me (I'm 19 and he's 42, so there could be some frequency-specific hearing loss in play there).

Is there some kind of warm-up/burn-in factor at play here? Or perhaps is it nothing to do with my equipment, and everything to do with my ears? I don't know why I would be hearing sibilance today that I wasn't yesterday, but others don't seem to be able to hear it, so who knows.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigTony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is always a chance that the weather has affected your hearing; its been cold and windy today - a touch of cold can make a big difference.

Yesterday my office was pretty damn warm, and today I'm a little chilly. It's warmed up a lot since the morning. It's also very dry.

I didn't realize the weather can affect how you hear -- is there more info on this?

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #6 of 14
This may not be your case at all, but I was having a similar scary moment yesterday with my setup. Sibilance galore + no mids. It turned out that the plug of the K702 has a screwed-on 1/4" adapter, and that was JUST A TAD loose. And on a related note, if I touch the metal part of the plug when listening, it would click and pop too. So note to self: check the adapter and make sure nothing is touching the metal part of the plug.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Hi, I know my moods effect my hearing. Headaches also have a effected how I hear. I have the Headroom Micro Amp and sometimes get sibilance on certain songs. Depending on how I feel and my mood. Maybe it's inherent in the amp? I don't know. But there are times that I hear it and others I don't.

Nov 19, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may not be your case at all, but I was having a similar scary moment yesterday with my setup. Sibilance galore + no mids. It turned out that the plug of the K702 has a screwed-on 1/4" adapter, and that was JUST A TAD loose. And on a related note, if I touch the metal part of the plug when listening, it would click and pop too. So note to self: check the adapter and make sure nothing is touching the metal part of the plug.

Pretty sure this isn't the case, as I tried both the front and back jacks, and the D2000 doesn't use an adapter, and seems fairly secure in the jack.

I do have to say that I really am noticing less sibilance as the day wears on -- I'm not sure if this is psychological, physiological, or in the electronics, but it's gotten significantly better. ****in' weird.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #9 of 14
Sounds psychological to me. Your ears definitely "burn in" (i.e. get used to a sound, in this case) over time. I've noticed that when I spend time listening to the K701, I get really into it and just think to myself "YES. That is what this is supposed to sound like." Then if my ears get used to something else, like my Klipsch IEMs, and I come back to the K701, I go through a jarring adjustment period because at first the headphones sound distant and thin.

Maybe time between listening sessions is having some similar effect?

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds psychological to me. Your ears definitely "burn in" (i.e. get used to a sound, in this case) over time. I've noticed that when I spend time listening to the K701, I get really into it and just think to myself "YES. That is what this is supposed to sound like." Then if my ears get used to something else, like my Klipsch IEMs, and I come back to the K701, I go through a jarring adjustment period because at first the headphones sound distant and thin.

Maybe time between listening sessions is having some similar effect?

Definitely possible. Well, whatever the case I'm glad the readjustment happened because I'm back to full enjoyment. Listening to some Brother Ali and I can practically feel the bass in my chest (in a good way -- not muddy or boomy).

I was definitely pretty freaked out this morning -- I guess this will just be something to keep in mind for the future, and something to monitor to see if it is related to burn-in.

Nov 19, 2009 at 8:46 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by backwardsname /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Definitely possible. Well, whatever the case I'm glad the readjustment happened because I'm back to full enjoyment. Listening to some Brother Ali and I can practically feel the bass in my chest (in a good way -- not muddy or boomy).

I was definitely pretty freaked out this morning -- I guess this will just be something to keep in mind for the future, and something to monitor to see if it is related to burn-in.

Yeah - this is the reason it's nice to have a couple of different headphones lying around for when one starts to grate on your nerves or just sound "not quite right" with what you're listening to.

Nov 20, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #12 of 14
During the mornings, depending on some factors (tiredness?) any high pitched noise is unbearable .. at least for me. The simple act of putting a ceramic cup down on the table will produce a ringing that threatens to blow out my eardrums. That's probably either a symptom of hangover (I don't drink) or better - of dehydration and tiredness. As for burning in, I don't think I would use that as an explanation, ever.

Nov 20, 2009 at 5:58 AM Post #13 of 14
this could be related to Burn In, and power. power typically alot cleaner in the early am.. 10pm -5am. does not sound like you have any power condtioning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back