Help - broken Optimus CD3400
Jan 6, 2003 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

djgustashaw

1000+ Head-Fier
My dad's Optimus CD 3400 has been acting funny lately. I borrowed it from him to use as the front end of my system. I began using my own pcdp after a while because of its better battery life (the CD3400 sucks up battery life like you wouldnt believe). So anyway, a few weeks later i hook up the Optimus to use again and low and behold it's not working. Uh oh. My dad was mad about it, and understandably so. First off, the unit itself won't open unless you press REALLY hard on the open button and pull on the lid. And when you play a cd , it begins scraping against the insides of the player, like the spindle isn't level. It isn't bad enough to where it scratches the cd, but it still wont play. I really have no clue as to what happened to it, as it really was working one day and not the next, and i never touched it in the time between its working and not. Its almost as if the thing got dropped and all the innards got knocked outta whack. Nonetheless, it was under my supervision so I need to get it fixed for him. Unfortunately, after looking online for awhile, I think that Optimus, the old Radio Shack brand, went out of business or something since i can't find any website, so i can't send it back to them. Do ya'll think that I could take it to Radio Shack and they could work on it? What about any store chains, do any of them work on pcdp's (I doubt it, but its worth it to ask...)? Or would i be best off just to take it to a local electronics repair shop? Any opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Jan 8, 2003 at 12:11 AM Post #2 of 4
um... this was a rare and sought-after model, you are going to have a hard time getting it replaced. It's the Digital Out feature that lets you tie to it to an external DAC, that makes it collectable. They are rare on ebay and usually cost $100 - 200. good luck

Jan 8, 2003 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 4
If there's a problem opening the unit, it almost sounds like a weight got put on it and damaged the cover. It's pretty flimsy, and wouldn't take much. Virtually impossible to diagnose online, though. I think you're going to need to have a tech look at it.

Jan 9, 2003 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 4
Why don't you bring it to the local Radioshack store? Maybe they can assist you. If not,have some tech look at it. If it's not worth the fixing cost,just buy your Dad another model. I think the used 3400 is getting too expensive on eBay so it probably won't worth it. Anyway there is one auction going on right now and it seems to be the brand new-old stock CD3400.
NEO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back