Help: Broken audio technica a900s.
Jun 30, 2009 at 5:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

panda67

Head-Fier
Well, a few weeks ago i was taking my headphones off of my head and i heard a crack. With that crack came a sinking feeling in my stomach and i feared the worst.

Luckily it was only the plastic that holds the cans on the right side (see picture below) that broke. I then proceeded to glue this so i could continue using them. However, yesterday they broke again in the same spot. I decided to inspect them and then i noticed some exposed copper. I don't know how bad the damage is, but the headphones still work great. I would like to repair or replace the affected pieces to solve this. Yet, i doubt ill be able to source the replacement parts.

The alternative would be to send this to Audio Technica and get the services, but im really scared that im going to get hit with a $150 service quote. At that price id rather buy another pair or a different pair of headphones.

Does anyone have any guess on how much this repair would be? Or even better, how i can get the parts myself?

Part thats broken

k37mok.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 6
If you want to know what a repair will cost, I'd say ask Audio-Technica themselves. Send them a repair cost request with that same picture attached. They'll surely know what it'll cost to reapair your A900.

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengt77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to know what a repair will cost, I'd say ask Audio-Technica themselves. Send them a repair cost request with that same picture attached. They'll surely know what it'll cost to reapair your A900.

They asked me to send them in for a quote. The fee for a declined quote is $30 + shipping back. So im already looking at $60 with shipping.

Thats 1/4 the cost of a new pair.

Jul 1, 2009 at 6:16 AM Post #4 of 6
Seems the sound in the right side has gone out, they will be going out to service in the morning.

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 6
Got the headphones from service today, just want to list the info in case someone else searches it at a later point.

The broken arm was $4.90, but i needed a bunch of other stuff as well. They basically rebuilt my headphones.

Price as follows.

Labor was $60
The replacement headband assembly was $3.67
The new ear pads were $3.45 each
The new head pads were $1.08 each.
The replacement cord assembly was $17.15.

Final cost 104.75

Oct 4, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got the headphones from service today, just want to list the info in case someone else searches it at a later point.

The broken arm was $4.90, but i needed a bunch of other stuff as well. They basically rebuilt my headphones.

Price as follows.

Labor was $60
The replacement headband assembly was $3.67
The new ear pads were $3.45 each
The new head pads were $1.08 each.
The replacement cord assembly was $17.15.

Final cost 104.75

Damn, I have the same exact issue on the left can. I wonder if it is design flaw for the plastic joint at that section of the headphones?

I'm afraid it might cost me nearly the same for repair, although only the plastic has cracked/gone bad for me, I still have sound (I haven't tried to repair it myself yet).

Also, did they charge $14 shipping and how much did you spend to ship it to them? I am trying to figure out if it is worth repairing for me, although I don't really have another $200-250 to be spending on headphones right now. The headphones are currently a pain to use since the left can does not sit correctly as the plastic is broken, so I am afraid if it is not repaired properly it will never feel comfortable again.

One final question - is there a serial number somewhere? The repair form asks for one if applicable, and I haven't found one while inspecting the headphones and I don't think anything came inside the box listing such a number.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back