Help: Beyer DT880 or Senn HD 580
Jul 31, 2004 at 3:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Lil_JV

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I recently sold my AKG K401's and now I'm looking to upgrade. I would like to get a great all around set of cans. I listen to all kinds of music. From Dire Straits to Ludacris to Sarah McLachlin. So I need for them to be very versatile. I want to be able to rock out but also just have a nice quite listen(i.e. tons of detail). Which of these cans am I describing?

I am currently ampless but I don't mind not having an amp for a couple of months. I just don't want a pair of cans that sound ok straight from the source but barely improve from other upgrades to my system. The amps I am going to be making are a Pimeta type amp, Morgan Jone tube amp, and hopefully morsel and amb's SDS/PPA project.

My budget is $300

If this helps the source will be a NEC 3Xp fed into a scott nixon TubeDAC(soon).

Thanks in advance.

JV.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
The DT880 will sound closest to the AK401. You may or not be able to hear the HD580 veil.

Oh, ok that is what I was looking for. I would like for them to be a bit smoother and also have better bass than the K401. I don't think the Senn sound is for me.

How does the bass of the two compare(DT880 and K401)?

Thanks,

JV.

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #4 of 26
i think both of them doesn't have THAT much good bass comparing to other phones.....well, it's matter of one's taste
smily_headphones1.gif

I personally like the bass of Audio Technica's...

Jul 31, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 26
I don't think you'll be getting much bass from the dt880s unless you have a powerful amp. It's there, but I'd consider it thin, at least on my low-fi setup.
If you're looking for visceral bass, forget about it.

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:30 AM Post #6 of 26
I haven't had any concerns regarding the bass, yet I do not listen to a lot of heavy stuff with my HP rig. Primarily listen to stuff like Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, Lucinda Williams, Dido, Pink Floyd, Faithless, K&D, and space/ambient. I did tend to get a little more out of them with the Corda HA-2, but I'm just as happy with what I am using now......well, at least for now.
wink.gif

Jul 31, 2004 at 6:23 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil_JV
Oh, ok that is what I was looking for. I would like for them to be a bit smoother and also have better bass than the K401. I don't think the Senn sound is for me.

How does the bass of the two compare(DT880 and K401)?

Thanks,

JV.

Those are the only two 'good' headphones I've ever heard, so I don't know how they compare to other headphones. I like the bass from the DT880s much better than the AKG401s. I think the bass out of the AKG401s is pretty clean, just not very ... present. The bass out of the DT880s is more punchy and has better extension. If anything, I thought that there was too much bass when I first got the DT880s (I've apparently gotten used to it). And no, I don't think the go-vibe is a "powerful amp". Could be that I'm just an anti-bass head.

Really, though, what you think of them is what really matters. An audition is worth more than a million responses on this thread. Try to audition it locally, or buy one from Todd (and send it back it isn't to your taste).

edit: I've read that the HD595s sound somewhat different from their brethren, so you might want to check them out too.

Jul 31, 2004 at 7:30 AM Post #8 of 26
The DT880 bass would be pretty close if you added 2 dB at about 50 or 60 Hz to the K401. You'll definietly notice the bass on the DT880 as being "more" and deeper. When I listen to DVDs with my K401 or K501 I add 2 dB at 50 Hz and it changes the bass characteristics of the K-phones. Most people would probably have to add 3 dB to get it to where they consider it pleasing.

You definitely owe it to yourself to listen to the HD595. From the frequency response at Headroom and from Lou's comments it sounds a lot like the DT880 (sweet female vocals, good soundstage, etc.) but is much easier to drive.

graphCompare.php

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #12 of 26
The DT880 will tend to sound a tad on the dry side while the HD580 will tend to sound a little too relaxed. The HD580's greatest strength is a really smooth frequency response, great detail without excessive hyping of treble, and a punchy midbass. The DT880's greatest strength is a really clean, clear, very detailed high end and extended bass.

Either headphone is a good choice and I think they are equals in terms of quality. The DT880 is probably better if you want to be "in the mosh pit," so to speak. The HD580 would be better if you'd like to have a laid back, relaxed sound, sort of like sitting in the sonic sweet spot of a concert hall.

Cheers,
Geek

Jul 31, 2004 at 5:24 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Geek
The DT880 will tend to sound a tad on the dry side while the HD580 will tend to sound a little too relaxed.
[...]
Cheers,
Geek

Can someone explain to me what this means? I only learned last year what people meant by a "dry wine" and I'm getting a feeling of dejavu... e.g. what does a "wet" headphone sound like? Or is the opposite of dry supposed to be liquid? please excuse my ignorance.

Jul 31, 2004 at 9:37 PM Post #15 of 26
i second geek. however, the DT880 has a bit more resolution. at the price difference, i would suggest the HD580... great headphones!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back