HELP BEFORE I wreck my wallet *sorry for your wallet*
Jul 25, 2007 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

only500made

100+ Head-Fier
Well 2 weeks into audiophilia, I must say, as a music lover, I've been missing out on a lot. I just got 2 good 'phones for the past 2 weeks: A700 and EP630s which I think are good headphones.

Entering my third week, I'd like to explore more. This is also the reason why I didn't wanna jump into high-end cans right away (as a Basshead, I've learned that the DT770s are the pound for pound best)-I like the feeling of excitement in "wow, this sounds different than the other one"...etc etc etc. I've been through a lot of hobbies in my life (I'm only 21), but in every hobby that I've been through, I always started from the bottom to enjoy everything.

Problem: I'm torn between getting a portable amp or a new pair of cans. I have $100 as a budget. Basically, I have two thoughts:

thought a: get a portable amp. not costly and I'll get to explore my A700s more. I'm liking it right now btw, and I just have a few minor issues with it. But overall, I love them.

thought b: get a new pair of cans to explore different sound signatures. SR60s and the HD555 are on top of my list.

Any suggestions?

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Personally, with all the toys you have already, I'd save and buy a better amp. I'm not one for "budget" (everyone's definition of budget is different) amps when there's better right around the corner. I do enjoy upgrading and hearing new things, but extremely constant upgrading is a bit much and takes a toll on your wallet.

I agree with trying new headphones, but constantly trying new amps is not my cup of tea. Once you find the headphone you want, then get an amp to bring it to the next level. Juggling 2 things at once (trying amps and headphones, though not as bad as amps, headphones, source, and cables) is hard to budget. I think finding one, then working on another and then another, is the best way to go about it.

Find your headphone.
Find an amp that makes your headphone sing.
Find a source that mates well.
Final tweaks with cables.

Jul 25, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #3 of 9
I'm a recent convert to the "source first" camp. Get something that can really let the music shine through, and the rest will fall into place.

Jul 25, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

I agree with trying new headphones, but constantly trying new amps is not my cup of tea. Once you find the headphone you want, then get an amp to bring it to the next level. Juggling 2 things at once (trying amps and headphones, though not as bad as amps, headphones, source, and cables) is hard to budget. I think finding one, then working on another and then another, is the best way to go about it.

So would you suggest me getting the grail of the bassheads, which is the DT770s? It seems like it would be the perfect cans for me, although a lot of people have been complaining that's it's too much sometimes. To be honest, I'd like to enjoy my cans right now, a lil' tweeking might do me some help that's why I'm leaning towards are portable amp.

As for getting my source upgraded: my main source right now is an ipod 5G video. Everyone recommends the iMOD but I feel that it's too early for me to get into that *plus the budget*

Hmm, anyone else? I'm leaning towards getting a portable amp for now to be honest.

Jul 25, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #5 of 9
From what I've read, the Ax00s don't benefit much from dedicated amplification (and I think the difference in sound quality would be even smaller if it were a budget portable amp) and are already rather efficient headphones. If I was in your situation I'd get another pair of headphones so that you get more experience with different sound signatures (and possibly get one step closer to finding that perfect sound that you're after).

Jul 26, 2007 at 12:41 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I've read, the Ax00s don't benefit much from dedicated amplification (and I think the difference in sound quality would be even smaller if it were a budget portable amp) and are already rather efficient headphones. If I was in your situation I'd get another pair of headphones so that you get more experience with different sound signatures (and possibly get one step closer to finding that perfect sound that you're after).

Sounds like a good plan also. We'll see, I have some time to decide after I sell some stuff in the following weeks and hopefully it'll be good enough to buy a decent pair of cans (or a portable amp).

anyone else?

Jul 26, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #7 of 9
Snag a Entech DAC off ebay for cheap.

Jul 26, 2007 at 5:43 AM Post #8 of 9
your iPod is sufficient for the a700... try different house signatures first and find what you like. try grado sr-60, sennheiser hd555, beyerdynamic dt770pro...

find the headphone you like first, then amp it up. get a good source later

Jul 26, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

No offense intended at you Azure, but I for one am getting tired of seeing the claim that headphones like the Ax00 series don't benefit from amplification just because they're efficient. I speak from experience in saying that efficient headphones can benefit from good amps as much as less efficient headphones. A good amp will output more current to compensate for lower-impedance headphones, and there are definite sonic benefits from quality high-current amps.

That said, I'd have to recommend a source upgrade for the OP. Amping an iPod 5G doesn't make much sense when you could amp an iMod for better sonic results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back