Help, before I go potty!
Aug 12, 2005 at 2:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

M3Plus

New Head-Fier
I'm searching for an mp3 player that fits my rather relaxed needs, but the search is proving rather dry and aggrevating. I have spent so much time reading all the reviews, looking at all the pictures, looking at specs, feeling models, etc, and have yet to find a player that I would like to purchase.

I basically have a premise of basically the minimum feature set of an iPod (persay), but built into a solid player that isn't the iPod. Not that strange I guess, I'm not the only one to be popping to the alternative camp.

Below are the feelings I get from each player judging from reviews everywhere:

iPod (perhaps the only larger storage I'd purchase)/iPod Mini - Popular, limitacious, fashion accessory, "cool", and to be avoided if you have any sanity with your money and don't want to be labelled as "part of the borg". (I have weighed up other dis/advantages).

Creative Zen Micro - Most popular alternative, good feature set, looks great, plasticky, crash, headphone jack, headphone jack... headphone jack.

iriver H10 - Great little device, but reasonably ugly (in my opinion). Extra features, colour screen, etc are great, but limited.

Sony HW-ND5 - Built solid, great looking (apart from all buttons, everywhere on the device), Sonicstage urgh (even with the little mp3 mover program someone has found on the Sony website, urgh).

My thoughts go around each of these players more or less in turn, and then go off on a tangent into flash players, then back again. This is making me potty, I want to buy an mp3 player but cannot decide on any one. Is it just wiser for me to stick around and wait for a few months until some new models come out? Or could someone please jinx my decision and help speed up this process.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:15 AM Post #2 of 24
Welcome to headfi, sorry about your wallet.

That out of the way, if you wait a few months, you'll just be more confused than you already are. My personal choice would be the micro, because if you ignore the headphone jack problem, it has the others beat IMHO. That being said, I can fix things like that, so if you can't and your electronics get a beating, I would suggest the sony, simply because I've found their portable build quality to be excellent. But there are a few other things to consider, what kind of headphones/amp would you be using? Do you need a line-out for an amp? What kind of power requirements do you have?

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:30 AM Post #3 of 24
Have you actually taken a look at your positives and negatives? The Ipods negatives are ridiculous. All the other players have real downsides and the worst you can come up with for the Ipod is that everyone else has it? Come on, you are really shortchanging yourself by avoiding it based on popularity.

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 24
Sorry for my wallet? lol.

I'm simply using some Sony MDR-EX71SLBs, so no amp or anything. My demands on power are not great, and I find that these earphones through any device sound very good, so there's no need for extra amplification (especially since I will be taking the player out).

I'm edging towards the Zen Micro, with all it's past problems aside. The newer revisions may have most problems fixed, as most products do mature over time. I have been advised that this may be the case.

In regards to bundee1, I was simply outlining the MAIN thoughts in my head, which may have been biased. I have spent the time, as I stated, outlining each advantage and disadvantage. This is why I'm going potty, because there's too much information...

Aug 12, 2005 at 4:39 AM Post #8 of 24
Get the ipod. It fits your needs, it's a good player, it's obviously what you want.

To buy something to be part of the "underground" that uses player X just because it's not an ipod makes you just as bad as those who buy ipods just to be trendy, IMO.

Aug 12, 2005 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 24
I would definitely go for the micro, the majority have no problem and it's packed with extra features the ipod doesnt have. Ipod is over emphisized for looking "cool". If you have seen the zen micro with the light on in a dark room you will completely forget about the ipod and its trendiness. The only reason the ipod sells sooo many is that the general public has had the idea burned into them that its the "best" player out there and everything else is garbage
mad.gif

Aug 12, 2005 at 3:18 PM Post #10 of 24
I agree, go with the ipod, I think it is the best player for your needs--super simple to use and good flat sound. You'll just have to live with your hipster hi-fi friends thinking you bought an ipod to fit in with the masses.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:06 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by D555
Buy what you want and like. It's your money. To heck with impressing anybody. What's cool is making one's own decision.

Paul

x2
There is no perfect player as of yet. You could probably just flip a coin to choose which one and still be just as happy as these are all good players, IMHO.

Aug 12, 2005 at 8:43 PM Post #13 of 24
None of these players is what I would call cheap therefore my personal advice would be to listen before you buy.

Personally, I don't like the sound, looks or ergonomics of the iPod and I don't like the sound of MP3 in general. The best hard drive portable player I've heard so far is the HD5 using ATRAC3+ @ 256 via a set of B&O A8s. I also like its size, its removable battery, its excellent built-in line-out and the really good remote control you can get for it.

I am sure others can find a million things wrong with this particular setup but don't let someone else to make the decision for you.

Aug 13, 2005 at 3:25 AM Post #15 of 24
Sigh, I have owned ipods since before they were popular (which was about the first 6 months that the gen 1 was around). It really pains me to see people wearing them as a fashion statement. I do not want to be identified with that camp. Here is how I cope with the terrible burden:

I only go out in public with the ipod mini. No one knows because it stays in my pocket. The white headphones were given away when I bought the unit. No way will anybody think I am fashionable with a pair of shiney black Ety cables looping out of my ears and down the back of my shirt. And that red/blue connector thing is perfectly gauche!

Good luck in your quest. Try to keep an open mind, and ignore the fashion scene.

gerG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back