[HELP] Bedroom Speakers Set-up
Oct 22, 2012 at 8:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

junhan

New Head-Fier
Greetings!

Im currently looking into having a decent sound system set-up in my room, and for that have set aside a budget of approximately 600USD. With close to no prior experience with audio systems, i have been recommended BOSE speakers but decided instead to seek for more suggestions from seasoned audiophiles with regards to the best possible speakers sytem which would suit my needs.

I listen pretty much to all genres, but am more into bass heavy music the likes of house/trance, though a versatile speaker which would be suited for the occasional jazz music would be most welcome. Am only aware of speakers and not so much amplifier or other equipment so do advise me on that if necessary!

Thanks for your time and help! 
beyersmile.png

Oct 22, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 15
The Energy RC-10s are a good bookshelf speaker for $219. Warm sounding with good mid-bass. Pair them with the Polk PSW505 sub currently on sale at $199. Then all you need is a amplifier/receiver. If you can run analog to your receiver, then the HK 3390 stereo receiver refurbished directly from Harman Kardon is a very good unit for $199. Or if you have HDMI out or optical out from a computer, the Pioneer VSX-522-K is $199 from Newegg. 

This setup will be much better than Bose for cranking out some house, trance, and the occasional jazz 
biggrin.gif

Nov 4, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #6 of 15
Hmm for 600 you can get something good, therin that range the best bvalue for the money is active speakers, The dynaudio bm5a are the most musical Ive heard but they are over your budget if buying new , used I believe theyre in youre price range.

Nov 4, 2012 at 12:27 PM Post #7 of 15
I also recommend active studio monitors. I made the switch from "computer speakers" (logitech and creative mostly) and it has been the most drastic change in any of my audio gear. Near-field speakers are usually suited to the distance from a computer desk as well. I am in the process of upgrading from M-Audio bx5a's to Genelec 8030a's, and I couldn't be happier! The convenience of a built-in amp works well for me, and it might for you too, depending on the rest of your current gear, but you might want to add a pre-amp to consolidate the volume control at least. 

The AudioEngine's that mark2410 recommended and the Emotiva Airmotiv 4/5's are very well-regarded, but I have not had the chance to hear either set.  

Some reviews:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57367525-47/emotivas-astonishing-desktop-speaker/
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/emotiva-airmotiv-5-active-monitor-speakers

Nov 6, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:
for a bedroom something like the audioengine A5+ i think would suit.  all in one so simple and no mass of cables.

What "mass of cables"? Where does this myth come from? The Audioengine A5+ need one cable connecting each speaker to the other, a power plug, and a cable connecting to the PC, for a total of 3. A receiver with passive speakers only needs one additional cable: 2 speaker wires, one cable connecting to the PC, and one power plug, for a total of 4. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 6:48 AM Post #9 of 15
I think Mark might be referring to all the cable as a total. it's 4 more cables on top the dac cables, usb, external PS, server, tv speakers, etc. etc. You should see behind my desk... it's like a jungle there, heh

Nov 7, 2012 at 7:35 AM Post #10 of 15
Quote:
I think Mark might be referring to all the cable as a total. it's 4 more cables on top the dac cables, usb, external PS, server, tv speakers, etc. etc. You should see behind my desk... it's like a jungle there, heh

I don't know what he's referring to. If you are running a DAC and USB, you would still be doing that for an active monitor setup.  My setup doesn't require but one more cable than if I were using Audioengine A5s. 

I suspect it's buy in to some kind of marketing language from some active monitor company. It's sort of like the over hyped myth that they are easier to setup. It's not rocket science to hook up a separate amplifier unit. 

Nov 7, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 15
I agree, one more cable is not  big deal at all. for some reason some people seem to find buying separate components intimidating.

these used M-Audio Studiophile CX8 at $500 might be an option. they're big and powerful, but they'll probably require space to sound best. maybe not ideal as desk-top speakers. 

Nov 8, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 15
i was meaning, A5's plus dap and thats it.  a more normal set up would be , source, amp then speakers. with wires hooking then all together and 4 rather than 2 things taking up space.  no its not hard to put together but given the op's requirements, bass heavy and bose being mentioned i dont think hes exactly a huge hifi buff that wants any faff.

now taht i tihnk though there is those little micro systems, yamaha, onkyo and denon do them.  they might be a nice option too.

Nov 8, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
i was meaning, A5's plus dap and thats it.  a more normal set up would be , source, amp then speakers. with wires hooking then all together and 4 rather than 2 things taking up space.  

No. It's one extra thing because the amp is not in the speaker. And it's only one extra cable. 
Quote:
no its not hard to put together but given the op's requirements, bass heavy and bose being mentioned i dont think hes exactly a huge hifi buff that wants any faff.

now taht i tihnk though there is those little micro systems, yamaha, onkyo and denon do them.  they might be a nice option too.

Actually, he said he wants a "decent sound setup" and wanted to hear from "seasoned audiophiles" as opposed to getting Bose, so it doesn't follow that he would not be interested in a separate amp/receiver with passive speakers. 

The micro setups can be a good choice, although for bass heavy music, they may be lacking. Some of them have fairly small drivers in the speakers. The advantage of them is the small footprint of the receiver and that it may have a CD/DVD player. 

Nov 10, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #14 of 15
well micro systems here regularly dont come with speakers.  normaly i see them as not coming with the speakers by default.  the assumption is you have your own or want to pick your own (also the shop then gets to offer bundles with much better and much more expensive speakers.)

Nov 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #15 of 15
Quote:
well micro systems here regularly dont come with speakers.  normaly i see them as not coming with the speakers by default.  the assumption is you have your own or want to pick your own (also the shop then gets to offer bundles with much better and much more expensive speakers.)

Many of the ones here in the US, do. If you go search on amazon for Yamaha, Onkyo, or Denon micro system, it comes with speakers. 

And if it doesn't have speakers it's not a micro "system." They are typically called micro receivers or mini receivers. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back