[Help] Bass-heavy Headphones $150~$180
Aug 19, 2014 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Enzostz

New Head-Fier
What's up guys, first post here.

I decided to threw all my "gaming" headsets on trash (last one was an Roccat Kave.. ok you can laugh now) and decided to do a decent headphone purchase.

I am not an audiophile so I don't know the "technical terms" like "darker bass" and etc.

My musical taste goes from electronic / dubstep to heavy metal (black metal and death metal mainly) and I hear much more metal than electronic, like 80%.

The headphone will be used on my computer (Sound Blaster 3Di sound card) and i'll use it for everything. Music, gaming, some japanese shows, skype with my friends / team (I own an Zalman mic)...

I was looking for these pairs:

Shure SRH750DJ

Audio Technica ATH M50X

V-Moda Crossfade LP (seriously looking at this one here)

Denon AH-D1100

Sony MDR-XB920 (they're not closed but they are really cheap here in Brazil, I don't know if it's because of the world cup or other reason)​

Things to consider:

The only headphone that I can afford in Brazil is the MDR-XB920, the others I will buy on E-Bay or Accessory Jack.

I don't have an AMP/DAC, so I prefer headphones that don't need amplification to have good results, I am obese (1.73m and 140 kg) and have a large head.  The headphone must be comfortable for big-heads like me. I don't care about weight on a headphone. And last but certainly not least, I need to say that I tested before an AKG K171 MKII and this dude is really tight. After 10 minutes using it, my head was hurting a lot because of it's pression. When I got the headphones off the head, my ears were totally red and crushed so am looking some much bigger than that.

Hope you guys can help me making the right choice. Sorry for my poor english grammar and thanks in advance.
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 7
The ath m50 isn't exactly bass heavy.
The shure may need an amp and it has build quality issues according to reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh750-dj-headphones-black
There also the :
M audio q40
Donscorpio Dolphin from penon audio

Aug 19, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 7
  The ath m50 isn't exactly bass heavy.
The shure may need an amp and it has build quality issues according to reviews
http://www.head-fi.org/products/shure-srh750-dj-headphones-black
There also the :
M audio q40
Donscorpio Dolphin from penon audio

Yeah, M50 isn't exactly bass heavy but its still recommended all around.

I like the shape of Donscorpio.. do you know if the extra $25 worth for the Drama? And other thing. If I buy an 3.5mm to 3.5mm, 3meters coiled cable, i can put on these headphones or they use "modded" safety holes?

Ty :)

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #4 of 7
Yeah, M50 isn't exactly bass heavy but its still recommended all around.

I like the shape of Donscorpio.. do you know if the extra $25 worth for the Drama? And other thing. If I buy an 3.5mm to 3.5mm, 3meters coiled cable, i can put on these headphones or they use "modded" safety holes?

Ty :)

Im pretty sure the drama is more of a basshead can then the dolphins. The dolphins have a sub bass bump. The dolphins also have a soundstage mod. Any 3.5mm cable should fit.

Aug 21, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 7
Im pretty sure the drama is more of a basshead can then the dolphins. The dolphins have a sub bass bump. The dolphins also have a soundstage mod. Any 3.5mm cable should fit.

Thank you very much. I will be going on the Drama.. I gonna risk and see what these headphones can do and I'll post my impressions on the forum when they arrive.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #6 of 7
Hi can somebody tell me which sound card will be able to give me loud sound with my mbr-xb920.

My PC inbuilt sound card produces just enough sound so the volume seems to be bit low.

Nov 5, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #7 of 7
Also, I have finalised creative soundblaster z, if I can not find any ither cheaper sound card, SB Z will cost me in Australia for 122.
I realise I need an amplifier but I want a neat solution in which the Sound card will stay inside the PC but will be loud enough for me to enjoy.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back