[HELP] Basic Questions about Shelf Speakers
Mar 25, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

kobune

New Head-Fier
Hi all, I'm planning for my first speakers system, but I'm still hesitating about whether I need and afford it.

Usually I listen to solely pop musics with headphones and IEMs and I just want to be more relaxed when I enjoy the musics at home. Can speakers do a better job in pop musics than common headphones (mine is Sony SA5000)?

Since I live in a dorm of ~17 aquare meters, do you think a pair of shelf speakers can perform satisfactorily in such a room? I know, at least so far, I don't have enough space and money for cabinet ones.

If the answers to both the above questions are YES, could you give me your recommendation on this system? I have a Cambridge 640c V2 as the source for my headphones and I'd like to keep using it if possible. I think what I need to get are just the speakers and a power amplifier, right? Is it necessary to get a preamplifier as well?

I don't know about the market of speakers and power amplifiers so the budget may be relatively flexible. The sound reproduction I expect is neutral and balanced in frequency response, suitable for female vocals. I prefer clean and pure sound, probably a little cold.

Thanks for your attention and participation!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back