Help at finding a good headphone for around 200$-300$
Dec 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I would like to buy me some good headphones next month.

I currently have a pair of Klipsch S4i's in-ear headphones and I quiete like the sound of it, but they are not comfy at all to sit in your ear all day...

So are there some good looking, not too heavy and amazing value/price headphones out there that will fit my needs?

I listen to Pop, Hiphop/Rap, Dance,..

Thanks.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 18
Hi, thanks for the reply, but I do not like any of those headphones that are listed in the 300 to 500 dollar "closed headphones"?

Budget: 250-400$ Max.
Music: Pop, Hiphop/Rap, Dance,..
Type of headphone: Full-Sized, Circumaural (closed)

I am kind of pickey when it comes to the look of the headphones. I don't like bulky ones or weird headbands.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #4 of 18
If you are buying based on looks, then head-fi is the wrong forum for you. Sounds like you should be looking at the Beats Solo 2, but those are supraural. Maybe the Sennheiser Urbanite XL or the Denon D600?

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #5 of 18
Not at all. I don't like beats... The Sennheiser do look neutral and stylish to me (atleast better than the momentum). But arent they "bassy"?

I forgot to mention that im not a basshead. Normal bass is good enough.

Thanks for the reply.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 18
You really aren't telling us very much information about what you are really looking for. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Nearly all "urban" & "style" headphones are bassy, because they are being sold to people that primarily listen to Hip Hop, Rap & EDM. So, I'm a little confused when you say that you listen to hip hop & rap, but you're not a basshead. What you consider "normal" bass might be completely different from what someone that listens to jazz thinks is "normal".

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:58 PM Post #7 of 18
Sorry for the confusion. I do like bass, but it shudn't be too overpowered. I like the clarity of the music. Again sorry if I don't explain it too well, English isn't my 1st language :D

I am looking at something that looks like this:

- Clean, not too bulky, and stylish. ( In my opinion I guess ).

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #8 of 18
Sorry for the confusion. I mean that the bass shudn't be overpowering the clarity of the music. 

By stylish I ment something that looks like the Bose QC 25's. They look clean, not bulky, and stylish (In my opinion).

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM Post #9 of 18
How about the Denon D1001 or Creative Aurvana Live? They use the same drivers and I think both are OEM'd from Fostex.

I also like the Sony MDR-10R.

Dec 7, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #10 of 18
The sony's look nice!  I have done some research and I came across the Sony MDR 1R and 1A.
How do they compare to others in the same price range?
-------

Also, I made a list of the headphones I like in terms of design and portability. Could anyone tell me which headphone is the most superiour in terms of SQ?
I don't need noice cancel but I do want it to be a closed can.

As for comfort I do want it to be comfort, but i'm not looking for "the most comfy ones".
The most important things I'm looking for is Sound Quality > small profile/not too big > comfort  > all the rest

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 18
My current list is this:

- Logitech UE 6000                                65 €
- Sony MDR-1A                                   199 € 
- Sennheiser Momentum Over-ear          239 €   ( Don't realy like the design. but I've read so many good things about it, its just on the list..
- V-MODA Crossfade M-100                   279 €
PSB M4U 2                                       279 €

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM Post #13 of 18
BUMP!

Ok so I've gone to the store and I had a listen to the following headsets:

- Beats Studio's
- Sony MDR-1A's
- Sennheiser Momentum's
- Bose QC 25's

* I have also weared the Sennheiser momentums. Unfortunately they were badly connected in the store so I cudn't listen to them as they shud be, OR they just sound BAD? 

* The new beats studio's actually sound pretty good to my ears, clear. sounds good,.. However I find that for my taste they have too much bass. I like to find a headphone that sounds like them / better but without that much bass, but still punchy.

* I have also tested the Sony MDR's but they didn't sound as good as the beats? They sounded a little muddy, less clear, and way less bass. Or maybe it was because the volume wasn't realy high?

* The Bose QC 25's just played the Bose commercial so I cudn't realy test the music quality.. But they are VERY comfy! Though I got my questions about the build quality.. And I think they don't fit in my budget anyways...

P.S: I never owned or listened to beats headphones, nor do I like them because of the overpricing etc.. I just like how they sounded compared to the others that Ive listened to in the store today. My main goal is to find good alternatives that got the same quality-like sound of them, but then less base and cheaper.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:39 PM Post #14 of 18
The latest Beats models are actually not horrible headphones. Yeah, the bass is still too boomy for me, but they do seem to have improved the overall balance. However, I'm always suspicious of in-store demo displays. The sound on those displays can be completely tailored to the headphones they have connected to them, and there could be a lot of EQ being applied that might or might not work well for all songs. I recently heard the Sony MDR-1A on an in-store display, and I thought it sounded quite similar to the Beats - over-emphasized bass - BUT, the only music choices the display offered were relatively bassy songs.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #15 of 18
U might be right. In the store they sounded better than this example: https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/beats-by-dr-dre-studio/s-sD3X6?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

A song I remember that they played on the beats was Ed sheeran - Don't. And it sounded pretty awsome, aside of the boomy base.

And if this is how the momentums sound, then I like it A LOT!: https://soundcloud.com/sonic-sense-pro-audio/sennheiser-momentum/s-sD3X6?in=sonic-sense-pro-audio/sets/headphones-test

U say that the Sony MDR-1A sounds simular to the beats, but that wasn't the case at all. Soo.. I have no idea which source I have to rely on now? The website or the store?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back