Help! are my UM3X not working properly
Nov 19, 2009 at 2:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JamestheRipper

New Head-Fier
i have actually had this problem since day one of having them. i get a lot of unwanted distortion in the left bud (i listen to rock so you can tell when it is wanted and not wanted). at first i thought it was because i was listening to low bitrate files, but i just listened to a flac file and still had this problem, and i didnt get this problem with any of my other earphones.

is this common of low bitrates files or bad sources? because if so i would have expected the unwanted distortion to be at irregular intervals but its the same place of the song each time and happens at both the 320kbps and the flac file. in my mind this means the unwanted distortion seems to be caused by a specific frequency.

is anyone able to take a look at them for me?

Nov 19, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamestheRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes! Westone is.

BTW, is this with just one track? Your second paragraph isn't very clear.

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JamestheRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have actually had this problem since day one of having them. i get a lot of unwanted distortion in the left bud (i listen to rock so you can tell when it is wanted and not wanted). at first i thought it was because i was listening to low bitrate files, but i just listened to a flac file and still had this problem, and i didnt get this problem with any of my other earphones.

is this common of low bitrates files or bad sources? because if so i would have expected the unwanted distortion to be at irregular intervals but its the same place of the song each time and happens at both the 320kbps and the flac file. in my mind this means the unwanted distortion seems to be caused by a specific frequency.

What types of distortion you have exactly? If it appears again and again in same place at different bitrate recording, the problem may be coming form recording itself.

Actually, it is my experience. I will hear some noise with particular IEM when I can't hear with other IEM.

But again, it still can not ignore the changing of problem coming from IEM it self.......

Nov 19, 2009 at 4:13 AM Post #4 of 6
Here are some things to check:
1) Does it occur with all tracks at about the same frequency and volume? If it's only on a few tracks, the UM3Xs are great at highlighting mix defects, which is a good thing for those making masters.
2) Do you have an equalizer on, especially with iPod players? If so, it might be the player. Turn off the EQ and see if the problem is fixed.
3) Have you tried cleaning the plug before inserting it into the headphone output of your player?
4) A simple cable that swaps the left and right channels can be used. If the problem moves from the left to right driver, it's not the earphones. If the problem stays in the left driver, it's probably the phones.

Nov 19, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here are some things to check:
1) Does it occur with all tracks at about the same frequency and volume? If it's only on a few tracks, the UM3Xs are great at highlighting mix defects, which is a good thing for those making masters.
2) Do you have an equalizer on, especially with iPod players? If so, it might be the player. Turn off the EQ and see if the problem is fixed.
3) Have you tried cleaning the plug before inserting it into the headphone output of your player?
4) A simple cable that swaps the left and right channels can be used. If the problem moves from the left to right driver, it's not the earphones. If the problem stays in the left driver, it's probably the phones.

1) sorry i didnt make this more clear - i do get the noise at similar frequencies on lots of tracks. strangely enough theres less unwanted disotortion the louder the song is played.

2) i did have the equalizer on. it definately does amplify the distortion but i think its still there when the eq is off.

3) i try to clean the plug, i just use a dry cloth to remove any grease. i dont know how you would go about cleaning it more extensively.

4) havent tried that yet. sounds like a good idea, do you know where i can get that component for cheap?

Nov 19, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #6 of 6
What is your source? Just iPod?

First the UM3X's are extremely sensitive, they will pick up all kinds of distortions and background noise from your source. For example I could clearly hear my harddrive noise out of my USB soundcard.

And secondly, if the tracks are from same album ripped at same time, assuming the ripping wasn't done correctly, then they could all have distortions at same frequency.

Thirdly, for swapping channels, you can do it digitally, such as playing the song through Foobar2000 and add one of the DSP modules in there called "reverse stereo channels". But this does not eliminate the possibility that it is a hardware issue in your source (iPod or whatever) but not the earphones, for this you do have to swap channel physically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back