Help appreciated: HD600/650, or Fidelio X1?
Sep 13, 2014 at 3:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

shinji17

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, I'm currently feeling indecisive with my purchase because this will be a big buy for me and probably last me over a few years.
I'm currently torn between the HD600, HD650, and the Fidelio X1s.

Some info:

- I will be driving these with a Magni/Modi combo.

- I listen to mainly J-pop, J-rock, Anime OST, K-pop, stuff like that. Also, these will be used for movies and anime.

- I love female vocals, and a bit of bass, but not too much to overwhelm the voice. I'm not much of a critical listener.. I think.

- These headphones will only stay at home, they will not see the light of day :>.

- Price should not be an issue for me, my budget should stand around $400.

Thanks in advance for any help! If any additional information is needed, I will be happy to answer.

Sep 13, 2014 at 4:41 AM Post #2 of 17
You're going to get more bass out of the X1. The HD600 is close to neutral with a cold-ish sound, and the HD650 (supposedly, I haven't heard them personally) has a warm sound. If you aren't super critical with your music, I would go with the X1. They're cheaper and compliment your style of music well.

Sep 13, 2014 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 17
Hi, thanks for your reply! I have heard that the X1 has a strong bass, while sacrificing some other parts. I hope the bass wouldn't thrown out the music though.
The reason I put the HD650 as a strong contender is because people say the HD650 is similar to the HD600 with it's clarity, while having an improvement in bass.. so I was thinking it might be a good blend.

However, these are just my thoughts. I am still working hard on researching!

Sep 13, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #6 of 17
If you're not in a hurry, there is an upcoming Fidelio X2, which is much better than X1..
http://www.head-fi.org/t/729413/philips-fidelio-x2-a-review-by-baycode

And there's Hifiman HE-400i you might be interested.. 

Sep 13, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 17
Woah, I wasn't aware of that review, thanks! Currently I'm waiting for the X2 to drop in hopes that the X1 will take a dip in price. However, if the X2 are within price range, maybe I'll snag that instead.

Hmm.. I might buy whichever one goes on sale first, since I really can't go wrong with any of these, amirite? :)

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:09 AM Post #8 of 17
Hi, does anyone know the best portable AMP/DAC FiiO products for the Fidelio X1, HD600, or HD650? (Considering X1 the most atm)
I'm looking to upgrade to the Magni/Modi combo, but right now having trouble with distinguishing FiiO products.

EDIT: Does the higher number mean better? Ex: E17 > E12?

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:35 AM Post #9 of 17
  You're going to get more bass out of the X1. The HD600 is close to neutral with a cold-ish sound, and the HD650 (supposedly, I haven't heard them personally) has a warm sound. If you aren't super critical with your music, I would go with the X1. They're cheaper and compliment your style of music well.

I would never call the HD600s cold.  They do have a warm sound signature, the HD650 has more bass presence but I wouldn't exactly call  it an improvement.  IMO both the 600 and 650 are on the same level, it just depends how much bass presence you want.  The HD600 extends plenty far.  

Why do you want a portable amp/dac if they're going to be desktop headphones?  I would look at the schiit stack as you said as well as the O2 and ODAC and the Fiio E09K and e17 would work okay for very cheap as well.  Audio GD also has some good amp dac combos I'm not very familiar with.

E12 is a better amp than the E17 but I wouldn't recommend either for the HD600s/650s unless you absolutely need it to be portable.  E12 is only an amp where as the E17 is an amp and dac.  I think you're better off getting a desktop amp to be honest.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:44 AM Post #10 of 17
  I would never call the HD600s cold.  They do have a warm sound signature, the HD650 has more bass presence but I wouldn't exactly call  it an improvement.  IMO both the 600 and 650 are on the same level, it just depends how much bass presence you want.  The HD600 extends plenty far.  

Compared to the other headphones I had while I owned my HD600, they were the coldest, so maybe that is why I feel that way. I had a DT770 a W4. I always wanted more bass with my HD600, which is why I ended up selling mine. That headphone is pretty close to neutral sounding, which isn't really what I look for in a signature.

Sep 14, 2014 at 1:49 AM Post #11 of 17

I would echo this. I didn't find the 600 to be "cold" at all. If anything they are on the "warm" side. I found them to be pleasant with the highs being not forward at all.  

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:00 AM Post #12 of 17
I don't think OP can go wrong with any of the 3 choices.  I have no experience with the X1 but I've heard nothing but good things about them.  If you're leaning towards the X1 this might be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689313/dac-amp-for-fidelio-x1-ratings-and-recommendations-compilation-thread

Sep 14, 2014 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 17
  I don't think OP can go wrong with any of the 3 choices.  I have no experience with the X1 but I've heard nothing but good things about them.  If you're leaning towards the X1 this might be helpful:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/689313/dac-amp-for-fidelio-x1-ratings-and-recommendations-compilation-thread

Thanks a lot! I've been using that as reference.

Why do you want a portable amp/dac if they're going to be desktop headphones?  I would look at the schiit stack as you said as well as the O2 and ODAC and the Fiio E09K and e17 would work okay for very cheap as well.  Audio GD also has some good amp dac combos I'm not very familiar with.

E12 is a better amp than the E17 but I wouldn't recommend either for the HD600s/650s unless you absolutely need it to be portable.  E12 is only an amp where as the E17 is an amp and dac.  I think you're better off getting a desktop amp to be honest.

To be honest, I was planning to get the Magni/Modi combo and quite frankly, I have the funds to do so on top of purchasing a HD600/650, or X1. But I figured that since I might be commuting from home and college every 1-2 weeks, I might as well go portable so it's easier for me to carry. That's a big reason for me to choose the X1's I guess, since it's much easier to drive. But thanks for your input, I really appreciate it. If I end up with the HD650s I'll be sure to purchase the Magni/Modi combo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back