HELP--Anyone shopped in OneCall.com before? (for bookshelf speakers)
Jun 22, 2003 at 11:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kenchi1983

100+ Head-Fier
Im in the process of looking for a pair of bookshelf speakers. I am looking for speakers at the $100-200 price range.For the past two days, ive been doing some research on various budget type speakers.

I first looked at Polk Audio, but they were overpriced. So i looked into Yamaha, BestBuy sold out of the model i wanted (to try out at home).

then i found a brand by the name of Athena Technologies, read they are a Canadian based comapany that also does the Energy line of speakers. Read a couple of reviews that gave high regards for this brand . I am interested in their Audition AS-B1 model. Checked out a Soundstage review which gave it high recommendations.

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/athena_asb1.htm

from audioreview:
http://www.audioreview.com/Home,Thea...4_4281crx.aspx

I remember seeing the Athena brand the last time i went to Bestbuy (to do my speaker shopping). The testing system didnt work, so i wasnt able to hear how they sounded. The Bestbuy website has an asking price of $179.99 (+20 tax), which is already a bit over what i want to spend.

Then i found out that OneCall.com has these AS-B1 speakers at a lower price.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
SO, now im wondering, has anyone shopped in OneCall.com before? Seems like this company has no problems with the Better Business Bureau.

This will be my first online shopping experiece too, if i were to shop there.

(other budget bookshelf speaker recommendations is a welcome too).

Thanks. (love this place)
biggrin.gif

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/

Jun 22, 2003 at 12:24 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't know about onecall.com, but let us know how you like those speakers. I got a buddy who's putting together a budget home theatre system, and all he needs now are the fronts, rears, and center channel, and he's done. Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2003 at 5:08 AM Post #3 of 9
I've done business with One Call, off and on for a number of years. Good prices, and I've never had a problem. They ship very quickly and have been very good to deal with. I would have no concern ordering from them.
I've also had them ship things to my brother and sister without a hitch. Good company to deal with.

JC

Jun 23, 2003 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 9
Onecall should be a good place to order from. If you want other suggestions, consider a pair of polk r15's, they're at circuit city this week for $80/pair, they sound unbelievably good for the price.

Jun 30, 2003 at 1:23 AM Post #5 of 9
I've bought from them, no problems. A little impersonal, but that's what you get online.

Jun 30, 2003 at 2:34 AM Post #6 of 9
they are ok - but return shipping you have to shoulder if you need to have a product replaced or returned.

i think they are authorized dealers of most products they sell too.

Jun 30, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 9
Check out the bizrate.com rating for OneCall.com...as you can see they rate extremely high and get an "Outstanding" rating (the highest possible) by customers...the link below will take you to their reviews...No company is going to have a perfect record of satifaction but very few rate as good as onecall...
i remember ordering only once from them to get my Panasonic SL-CT570 cdp and they were fine but it's best to read what many others say about them

OneCall ratings

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:57 AM Post #8 of 9
yeah, i recieved the speakers on the second day, from the day in which i made the order. I made the order Monday, and recieved them Wedsnesday. Delivery was quick, and they used a second box which had those styrolfoam stuff, to cushion the original speaker box.

As for the sound quality of the speakers, i cant say i was astonished when i first plugged them in, because i do have the grado sr80 right? Plus, i think these speakers need some burn in time before i make a final judgement, because the bass is a little overpowering....just a little....or maybe it is the stereo amplifier im using ( a 70's type Realistic SA-2001 by Radio Shack brand). Or its because of of how it is placed in our apartment. So there are many contributing factors that may affect the 'final' sound of these things. The speakers do sound good when played loudly, with no big noticeble distortion. One gripe i do have is that that AS-B1 dont sound that good when played in lower volumes.

According to the reviews, this is one of the better budget speakers.

For $138 (with the $10 discount on Onecall.com), it's a good purchase.

CRESCENDOPOWER, i think Athena is a good brand compared to other more popular brands. so tell your friend to maybe consider this brand.

Jun 30, 2003 at 6:58 AM Post #9 of 9
I can vouch for Onecall.com as an A+ online store. Have no fear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back