Help and Advise for old Weston 4R
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CrazyDelta

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Hope someone can give me some advise on this. I have a pair of Weston 4R which was given to me as a gift. There's a fair bit of sentimental value to it. I used it for many years as well.

But couple or months ago, the plastic started wearing off, and one of the earphones broke and opened up. As you can see from the pic, it got worse after being kept in a drawer.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it. Maybe a new casing? Or use a solder to fix it? I dont think I want to spend a lot fixing this or paying someone for repair as I am using other earphones now, but I do recall these earphones cost quite a buck back in the days.

What would you recommend or what would you do in my place? 🙂

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20201001_184525.jpg
    20201001_184525.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Oct 2, 2020 at 10:27 PM Post #3 of 6
Hi guys,

Hope someone can give me some advise on this. I have a pair of Weston 4R which was given to me as a gift. There's a fair bit of sentimental value to it. I used it for many years as well.

But couple or months ago, the plastic started wearing off, and one of the earphones broke and opened up. As you can see from the pic, it got worse after being kept in a drawer.

I'm wondering if there's anything I can do about it. Maybe a new casing? Or use a solder to fix it? I dont think I want to spend a lot fixing this or paying someone for repair as I am using other earphones now, but I do recall these earphones cost quite a buck back in the days.

What would you recommend or what would you do in my place? 🙂

Thanks.

Unless u have soldering skills, best to ask a shop to reshell it, or it remains a white elephant.

I had a westone 3 that died at the cable insertion area, I got it reshelled at a local shop and with added MMCX mod at $30ish USD.

Oct 3, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 6
You may be able to repair them with a new 2 pin connector and gluing the shell back together.

Do not use super glue, it's active ingredient could harm the internals as it off gasses. I'd recommend e8000 (or e6000) glue. It will have enough hold but retains flexibility and is removable if necessary to reopen the shells.

Oct 6, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #5 of 6
You may be able to repair them with a new 2 pin connector and gluing the shell back together.

Do not use super glue, it's active ingredient could harm the internals as it off gasses. I'd recommend e8000 (or e6000) glue. It will have enough hold but retains flexibility and is removable if necessary to reopen the shells.

Thanks. Would it be possible to do my own new shell? And if so what shell could I get and where?

Oct 6, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #6 of 6
Thanks. Would it be possible to do my own new shell? And if so what shell could I get and where?

There's only a couple generic shells I can recall that use the bean shape like Westone & Shure.

Of those the se846 copies is probably what I'd choose. The kinera bd005 & shure se215 type shells I'm not a fan of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back