Help an Uncle get some IEM's for his nephew. Be a hero. :-)
Mar 23, 2016 at 5:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

waveriderhawaii

100+ Head-Fier
smily_headphones1.gif
Greetings. . Backstory..  I give my  nephew my hand me down IEM's, and he has loved every pair each more than the last. In approximate order, Moshi Vortex, Klipsch S4, UE 600vi, Denon AH-C700 (which he liked the best as he says they are more accurate and he can hear more detail). He said they took some time to get used to but now he LOVES them. The Denon AH-C700's are now taking a dive where at times one side's volume goes down at random. I need to replace them for him, but I am out of hand me downs. He uses his cell phone as a source, an HTC M8 (which is supposedly a decent audio player for a cell), so I need something that can be easily driven by it.

I have a $50 Amazon card, and "maybe" $20 to add to that. My original thought was the RE-400's, then the Phillips S1, but now I am leaning towards the OM Audio INEARPEACE $53.07, since the other two are a little out of budget. I want to stay away from the C700's, even though they are like $25, since both his and mine are having balance issues.

I Googled and researched a replacement as much as possible, mostly using Head-Fi as a source. I am at a point where I just don't know what to do, and need expert advice. These below are some possibilities.  If any of these below have a "colored" sound (or w/e it's called), that will probably be fine too, but he does like the "accuracy" of the C700's. He is no audiophile, (I am a wannabe) so  I am sure he will be happy with w/e I get him as long as they are match  or better the C700's. Any other suggestions from Amazon would be great. Since he is 19, I would like something sturdy(ish).

Blaupunkt In-Earphones BPA-895 $44.99 (never heard of these but I liked the Blaupunkt  name. Can't find any reviews.)
Westone Adventure Series Beta $48.95
OM Audio INEARPEACE $53.07 (this review raves about them) http://www.head-fi.org/t/698277/om-audio-inearpeace-hybrid-iem-the-single-ba-single-dynamic-driver-iem-done-right
Havi B3 Pro II Dual Driver Earphones  $55.00
Phiaton MS 200 Moderna  $59.87
Havi B3 Pro 1 Dual Driver Earphones $61.99
(both Havi's from my research indicate that they may need an amp to "shine". If so, these are out of the question)
Beyerdynamic DX160IE  (Black)    $67.58
OSTRY KC06A $67.99
Sennheiser Momentum In-Ear $68.66

********************* These below are starting to get over budget. I will have to go without food or something in order to save for them. My nephew is worth it if these are going to amazingly blow away the above IEM's.

Philips S1/28 Fidelio In-Ear $75.00
HiFiMan RE-400 $79.00 (I really want to get him these or the S1's, but if the INEARPEACE are just as good then that's better for my wallet)
Easy Sidy Dm4 Super (Only 1 left in stock.) $80.00 (supposedly have a mid base hump. I don't know if my nephew would even notice)
Klipsch Reference Series X7 $83.42     
Yamaha EPH-100SL $84.99

Users who are viewing this thread

Back