Help an Ety lover with over-ear studio cans... please!!!
Jan 29, 2008 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Sean.Perrin

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone, after years of using in-ear headphones and now more than a year with my Ety ER4ps I HAVE to get a pair of over ear phones for recording projects that I am doing.

Basically I am recording layered clarinet and if I wear the Ety's all I "hear" is the "feel" of the notes buzzing in my head and I can't play properly. The monitor doesn't work... doesn't overcome this strange occurance and as a performer I need to feel and hear the ACTUAL sound during performance, especially to play with the "ensemble" of layered instruments I am playing with.

I went and tried various selection of Audio-Technica, AKG, Senn. etc and was displeased on every account because I couldn't sound a coloration I liked perhaps because I made the mistake (?) of taking my Ety's with me...

The main problem is that I want something with the general feel and coloration of my Ety's but I'd like to spend no more than $120 CAN (I don't plan on using them much outside of a few projects) and it would be nice if they folded in for easier and safer transportation (this is the LAST priority).

Can anybody help me out here?

Jan 29, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 7
Fellow Ety lover here. I own and have tried a fair number of closed cans.

Since cost is an issue I'll leave out the high-priced alternatives and focus on a few less expensive choices that I think may work for you.

AKG K271: this is what I wear at work when I'm not wearing my Etys. They don't sound the same of course, but it's not a huge adjustment to switch back and forth between them either. It is not compact, does not fold, and is above your price range...but you might find a good deal on a used one. It also likes to be used with an amp, but if you're in a recording situation then you may well be plugging into something that supplies adequate driving power.

AKG K171: physically smaller than the K271 but with a pretty similar, very satisfying sound. On me, it provides better isolation than the K271 does, and it can generally be found somewhat cheaper.

Equation Audio RP-21: this goes for roughly your budget new, and performs remarkably well without amplification. Not small but it does fold flat. It doesn't nail the high harmonics all that well, but other than that it performs far above its price point IMO.

(Note that I do not recommend the Equation Audio RP-15, their compact folding headphone, because its muffled and boomy sound is very disagreeable to this Ety-head.)

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by episiarch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fellow Ety lover here. I own and have tried a fair number of closed cans.

Since cost is an issue I'll leave out the high-priced alternatives and focus on a few less expensive choices that I think may work for you.

AKG K271: this is what I wear at work when I'm not wearing my Etys. They don't sound the same of course, but it's not a huge adjustment to switch back and forth between them either. It is not compact, does not fold, and is above your price range...but you might find a good deal on a used one. It also likes to be used with an amp, but if you're in a recording situation then you may well be plugging into something that supplies adequate driving power.

AKG K171: physically smaller than the K271 but with a pretty similar, very satisfying sound. On me, it provides better isolation than the K271 does, and it can generally be found somewhat cheaper.

Equation Audio RP-21: this goes for roughly your budget new, and performs remarkably well without amplification. Not small but it does fold flat. It doesn't nail the high harmonics all that well, but other than that it performs far above its price point IMO.

(Note that I do not recommend the Equation Audio RP-15, their compact folding headphone, because its muffled and boomy sound is very disagreeable to this Ety-head.)

Hmmm... I'll have to check these out. Anybody else? Come on... lol.

Jan 30, 2008 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 7
So... the 171 and 271 seem to be closed design. I think that this will not solve my problem as I need to be able to hear myself playing and have a metronome click. Should I go with the 140 or 240 instead, they seem to be open design?

Which one would be better for recording WITHOUT supper high (amplified) levels. I am recording straight into my laptop and using a iMic out (which is just better than the built in).

Jan 30, 2008 at 11:11 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Anybody else? Come on... lol.

Sorry, we're trying, but there just aren't that many full-sized headphones with that little bass...
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 31, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 7
I'm with episiarch on this one, save that I've never heard/used the K171 before.

Back in my school, we use K271S to monitor our recordings.
Comparing it to the RP-21, the RP-21 doesn't nail the higher frequencies like the K271 does by a bit IMO, but delivers greater amounts of bass both in extension and impact. The RP-21's mids sound a bit chalky or dry in comparison to the K271S however.

The layering on both headphones are great, but the K271 keeps up with what we'd consider 'busy moments' better. The RP-21 does sound airier though. Both headphones have good headstage and spatial imaging for being closed headphones.

I don't know how the K271 sound out of the box brand new though, since the ones in my school are several years old I'd presume, but an almost non-burnt-in RP-21 sound ->very<- nasal in comparison to one that has been used for a while.

Either one of these 2 headphones should serve their purposes well. I prefer the K271S myself, but for its price/performance ratio, I really love the RP-21s now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back