Help, am i making the right decision?
Jul 15, 2015 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Phorkz

New Head-Fier

I am planning on getting a new headphone setup for my computer, specs for pc as follows(just fyi):

Corsair AX1200 PSU 
3770K @ 4.5GHZ with H100 4x gentle Typhoons in push/pull
Gigabyte Titan X 1400/8000
Samsung 830 256gb SSD
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP7 Motherboard
Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 MHZ 16GB DDR3 Ram
Win 7 64 bit
NZXT Switch 810 Case In White 
Acer XB270HU 
Logitech 5.1 surround.

First off, i have done a fair bit of research, and come to what i think is a good decision, but i need help from you guys with a lot more experience in this area before handing over the spondoolies.

Recently, my wife and i had our first child, so i have to focus more on using heaphones while on my pc now, instead of my mediocre 5.1 setup(Logitech Z906).

I currently have a set of Logitech G930's, which i use for gaming and music, these are constantly cutting out and the quality of sound is not that great, so i would like to upgrade.

What i plan on doing with my new setup:

-Playing games
-Watching HD Youtube video's
-Listening to FLAC and 320kbps MP3's(mostly FLAC)

I understand going this route, i will need an external microphone for gaming, which is ok i can handle that.(modmic?)

I like loud music, and good bass(beverages inc.) and good quality sound from my games.

I am aware i am trying to use the same set of headphones for two different purposes, but this is what i require, and would like the best middle ground for the two.

Split for PC time is probably Gaming 75% and Music 25%

What i plan on purchasing:

Cans:

http://en-au.sennheiser.com/high-quality-headphones-around-ear-audio-surround-hd-650

Amp:

http://schiit.com/products/magni-2

DAC:

http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

What do you guys think?

I would rather spend a bit more for lasting quality for the cans, rather than go the 598's or something like that i think.

I have read the HD650's aren't the best for gaming, but like i said, i need to be able to do both with this setup.

Any help/input will be much appreciated, and thank you for spending the time to read this thread.

EDIT: hmm, i have just done some more research, and have found out that the open headphones have more sound leak than i would have expected, which may still cause noise issues that i am trying to avoid. Now i guess i am looking for some good closed can recommendations?

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:47 PM Post #2 of 2

It would be nice to have all of the qualities of an open design, but with a fully isolating closed design.  Really the closest you can come is probably with IEMs (In Ear Monitors).  If you get custom molds (CIEMs), then they are quite comfortable and you can get high quality sound and good isolation.  The sense of space and expanse is apparently never as good as what you can get with an open design (although I've not tried the high end models), you can get very high quality sound.  So that's one direction to investigate.

If conventional headphones are what you prefer, then consider the NAD VISO HP 50.  They are closed back design and good quality sound.  I think not as good as the HD 650s IMO, but they are good.  They are tuned to an "in room response" so as to simulate some aspects of what you get listening to speakers.  To be clear, these are still closed headphones, but they feel not quite as closed in as most others.  Worth reading up on and easy to get.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back