Help! Advice request? Best small lap-top for accessing online streaming music to export via USB to external D/A converter....
Mar 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Synergist969

100+ Head-Fier
To whom it may concern:

Requesting advice regarding the best small lap-top to access online streaming audio sites...(Pandora, Hearts of Space, Organlive, various classical feeds, etc.). Must be able to export digital information, and power via USB 2 port to Schiit Audio Modi digital to analog converter...

I wish to use this lap-top as a portable, music only, dedicated WiFi internet based music source...possibly to spin discs, however, the primary use is to access the internet...so, need the keyboard as well as decent USB ports/signal...

I would probably prefer full sized USB ports, unless I am sure that the mini USB ports would do everything a full sized port would do...

Thank you for your advice.

Sincerely,
T.A. Kogstrom

Mar 23, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 5
Modern small laptops shouldn't have any problem with streaming music and outputting it to the Modi. And "small" laptop is relative. Are you talking 12" laptops?

Now, I guess it could be a problem if you bought the cheapest laptop you could and intended it to multitask well and stream music while trying to run Photoshop or play Battlefield 4. But such computers wouldn't be good for those applications either.

I'd recommend going to your local BestBuy, Office Depot, etc. and do some laptop shopping for the one that has the other features you want.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #3 of 5
Thank you Cel4145:

I want to obtain a solid/well constructed (read reliable) lap-top as a dedicated music source...and as small as is reasonably possible...I assume full sized USB 2 and/or 3 ports are in some ways superior to mini ports...?...RJ43 connection would be nice along with WiFi...and USB power output to power the D/A converter...  

That said, having a small, very portable unit would be best...so long as it has adequate processing power to run music specific programs...JRiver..etc., as well as those online, streaming audio websites...disc player would be a nice option but not critical...

Peace/Namaste,
T.A. Kogstrom  

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:06 PM Post #5 of 5
I'm not generalizing, but in my case I realize that the sound of my netbook when powered only by the battery is purer, no hiss. So today I would opt for a battery with greater autonomy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back