Help/advice needed with connecting AKG k7xx & Philips Fidelio X2's to Xbox One.
Dec 27, 2016 at 6:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Will22nd

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,
So I haven't found much on this subject so hopefully, someone can help me as I'm not too experienced with this. I'm looking to connect AKG k7xx & Philips Fidelio X2's to my Xbox One with a mic so I can chat while I play. I want to get the full potential out of the headphones, so can someone please tell me what amp (if I need one) to purchase along with the mixamp (if you guys recommend it) and any other equipment I need. Hopefully, some gamers or just some people that are out there who have knowledge on the subject can help me out because no one else has been able to and I haven't been able to find much out there. I'm desperate. Help me out.

Dec 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM Post #2 of 15
If you have a DAC, then run the optical out from the Xbone to the optical in on the DAC. Then, run the DAC to the amp, and headphones go into the amp. The Xbone doesn't do audio out via USB, so it'd have to be a DAC with optical in. The SMSL M3, for example, is $70 (cheaper than the Astro Mixamp) and has both optical in for the DAC and a built in amp.

Alternatively, you can use the audio out on your TV to run to an amp, and pick whichever amp you'd like, like a Schiit Magni or something along those lines.

Dec 28, 2016 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 15
If you have a DAC, then run the optical out from the Xbone to the optical in on the DAC. Then, run the DAC to the amp, and headphones go into the amp. The Xbone doesn't do audio out via USB, so it'd have to be a DAC with optical in. The SMSL M3, for example, is $70 (cheaper than the Astro Mixamp) and has both optical in for the DAC and a built in amp.

Alternatively, you can use the audio out on your TV to run to an amp, and pick whichever amp you'd like, like a Schiit Magni or something along those lines.
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand. So I need a DAC? I was under the impression I could buy a mixamp pro, buy a schiit magni or O2 amp and that's all I would need. You're saying I need a DAC?

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:45 AM Post #4 of 15
You'll want to take advantage of simulated surround sound for headphones which you won't be able to do with the above posters response. If you try running a Dolby digital signal out to a normal dac you will get a lot of white noise. You will need a mixamp or other gaming dsp devices such as creative x7. The new tournament ready mixamp is suppose to be a lot better than the previous models and also allows you to use USB to the Xbox to get your chat instead of having the annoying chat cable going to your Xbox. If you go this route then simply connect a vmoda boom mic to your x2 and plug it into the mixamp and you're good to go.

Dec 28, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #5 of 15
Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to understand. So I need a DAC? I was under the impression I could buy a mixamp pro, buy a schiit magni or O2 amp and that's all I would need. You're saying I need a DAC?

I use an astro mix amp with my Phillips X2's that is all you will need they sound amazing together.

I have tried many headphones for gaming and the X2's are the pin point masters.

From Astros website..

1) On the Xbox Live Dashboard hit the start button on the controller and navigate to “settings.”

2) > Navigate to Display and sound > Optical audio > Select “Bitstream out”.

3)  Navigate to Display and sound > Bitstream format > Select “Dolby Digital”

4) Go back to the Settings menu from Settings > Kinect > Select “Use Kinect mic for chat” and make sure it is unchecked.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #7 of 15
You'll want to take advantage of simulated surround sound for headphones which you won't be able to do with the above posters response. If you try running a Dolby digital signal out to a normal dac you will get a lot of white noise. You will need a mixamp or other gaming dsp devices such as creative x7. The new tournament ready mixamp is suppose to be a lot better than the previous models and also allows you to use USB to the Xbox to get your chat instead of having the annoying chat cable going to your Xbox. If you go this route then simply connect a vmoda boom mic to your x2 and plug it into the mixamp and you're good to go.
This is great thanks! I'll probably be sticking with the Mixamp seeing as the creative x7 is $400. Good thing you told me about the V Moda mic as I was considering getting the mod mic which is almost double the price. Thanks for the response. DACs still confuse me for some reason. Wish I knew when I have to use one and when not to.

I use an astro mix amp with my Phillips X2's that is all you will need they sound amazing together.

I have tried many headphones for gaming and the X2's are the pin point masters.

From Astros website..

1) On the Xbox Live Dashboard hit the start button on the controller and navigate to “settings.”

2) > Navigate to Display and sound > Optical audio > Select “Bitstream out”.

3)  Navigate to Display and sound > Bitstream format > Select “Dolby Digital”

4) Go back to the Settings menu from Settings > Kinect > Select “Use Kinect mic for chat” and make sure it is unchecked.
Appreciate the reply. Guess I figured out my set up. Specifically which Mixamp do you use as I see a couple different ones. And say I wanted to push the headphones a bit further. Would I be able to connect a say schiit magni to it.

Dec 28, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #8 of 15
Mixamp pro TR. honestly the price of just the mixamp itself $130 but they have a holiday bundle sale going on right now till the 31st with the a40 headphone for only $187. I would just get the bundle. Don't listen to people, even though the a40 isn't an audiophile headphone it is s very good headphone for surround sound , long gaming sessions and the mic is good too.

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #9 of 15
Mixamp pro TR. honestly the price of just the mixamp itself $130 but they have a holiday bundle sale going on right now till the 31st with the a40 headphone for only $187. I would just get the bundle. Don't listen to people, even though the a40 isn't an audiophile headphone it is s very good headphone for surround sound , long gaming sessions and the mic is good too.
$187 is a bit steep for me. I've seen some Mixamp pros for $25 without the cables, so I'll probably do that. Just want to know if I can run a separate amp later. Thinking of buying a schiit magni so I could use them for music

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 15
The only way to run another amp off of the signal of the mixamp is by getting a 3.5mm to rca cable and running that out of the line out of the mixamp. The older mixamp did not send Dolby headphone signal out of the output and in my opinion it sounded like trash. The new TR series mixamp does however send it out via a 2vms signal and my guess is it will work better than the previous models, however you won't get the TR version for only $25

Jan 4, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #11 of 15
Is the V moda boom mic compatible with the mixamp pro and fidelio x2's out the bag or would i need an extra cable? I see some people saying they need to buy a y splitter?

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #12 of 15
Just the boom mic is all you need I'm pretty sure. Go to the mle guide to Dolby gaming page and ask those guys. They'll have direct experience.

Jan 4, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #13 of 15
[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/ApaEdwy8HqM[/VIDEO] skip to 3:00. I know he's setting up for PS4 but it's still an x2 with boom mic and mixamp. The only difference is the connection to either Xbox or ps

Jan 19, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #15 of 15
You guys have been so helpful and I just have one more question. If I were to get an antlion modmic how and what would I need to connect it to the Mixamp pro TR?

I use the X2's and the Modmic, you connect it via the headphone mic splitter cable that comes with the Mixamp.

http://www.astrogaming.co.uk/dw/image/v2/AALZ_PRD/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-masterCatalog_AstroGaming_RP/default/dwfcd90fb6/product-images/3ACBL-HBM9U-760_primary_1.jpg?sw=1024&sh=1024&sm=fit

I do not own the TR so mileage may vary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back