[HELP] Accidentally dented driver/membrane disassembling HD600, quite upset, thoughts much appreciated.
Mar 20, 2017 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Rails646

New Head-Fier
First of all my many thanks to anyone with knowledge and experience with gear who can give me any helpful advice. This is my first post here, long time lurker and really not how I would've liked to start my posting but this has me quite upset :frowning2:.

So I was in the process of disassembling my HD600s to clean as cats + summer + aircon = hairs frequently somehow getting onto the driver. It's the second time I've cleaned them since I bought them just over three months ago T_T. I previously had 558s which lasted me over 4 years without a hitch and this has really dampened my mood today. These are beautiful sounding cans and I'd been so keen for this upgrade as they aren't cheap.
You are probably familiar with the difficult nature of getting the stiff pins that hold the driver in place to release and in a moment of insufficient attention to my motor coordination it popped out and lightly landed on one of the plastic positioning pins for the grill/case, I knew before even picking it up what I would find and there it is, a clean little dent in the plastic membrane of the driver. What can I do? There was so little force applied I can't believe my idiocy and the outcome of seeking replacements or expensive repair is quite depressing, I feel like it is some sort of elastic surface and there may be an easy fix? Or is the driver done for? Below are clear pictures so you can see for yourself, area of interest denoted by green circle I've added.

The Dent in the Driver/Membrane: http://i.imgur.com/fnANVU5.jpg
The Culprit http://i.imgur.com/ZXORzgw.jpg

I saw another thread where someone mentioned a Qtip with some sticky tape on it, is that safe to attempt? won't some adhesive remain on the driver?

I'm really hoping there is something I can do here, I have compressed air (I did try blowing gently from the other direction but the area with the dent has plastic behind it. Again any help/advice is absolutely appreciated :D.

Kind Regards

Mar 20, 2017 at 12:12 PM Post #2 of 2

So I was in the process of disassembling my HD600s to clean as cats + summer + aircon = hairs frequently somehow getting onto the driver. It's the second time I've cleaned them since I bought them just over three months ago T_T.

Just a few tips to minimize opening them up.

First, my cats don't get into the room where my headphones are. You don't have to lock them out of the room like I do (in my case I really just need sleep at some point), but you can get a case to store the headphones in. Something like a display shelf with glass doors, and you can fill int the gaps with some liner on the inside to minimize how easily airborne dust and danger gets to where the headphone is. If you can spend on one, try a drybox, like the ones used to prevent fungus growth on cameras and lenses. That way you can chuck them into a sealed chamber right after using and not worry about fungus and mold.

Also check the filters in the AC that way dust getting sucked in gets trapped in the filter as opposed to getting chucked all over the room. I clean the filter on my AC every few weeks, and preferably the morning before I go anywhere, that way I don't suffer being home at noon not being able to use it.

Lastly, keep your hair short and use a mild shampoo and menthol shampoo interchangeably. Mild shampoo cleans your hair without making it too harsh as to cause hairfall, and in case your scalp still gets itchy, use the menthol dandruff shampoo (even if you don't have dandruff). Clean hair with no oil that doesn't get sticky won't have you scratching it to physically cause hair fall. Also my hair is kept, at its longest, something like Caesar's haircut, and due to the heat I just gave up and got a Marine haircut. No sweating, no itching, no scratching, no physically induced hair fall; no harsher menthol shampoo, no chemically induced hairfall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back