Help! A500 cable/jack problem - I want to fix
Oct 27, 2005 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BobbyGeneric

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm pretty new to the DIY scene but I do have some experience soldering, etc. Here's what's the problem:

- I lose partial sound to my A500's depending on which way the cable is sitting. This is for the part of the cable right near the 1/8" mini jack. The jack itself looks perfect cosmetically but parts of the sound will cut out. If I position the cable perfectly it'll sound fine but mostly it's going to sound bad. I suspect this has something to do with the point where the cable leaves the end of the jack.

I love these headphones and I want to be able to fix them - any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Oct 27, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #2 of 12
Seems like the intermittency is due to a loose connection at the jack. In this case, you would have to resolder the connections from the cable to the jack.

Nov 23, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #5 of 12
I've just had EXACTLY the same problem. Quality issue?
Anyway, did you do this? Any problems? Just wanted to know before I take scissors to these headphones, I dont want to break them.

Edit: Is it possible to pull the jack apart and fix it rather than buy a new one?

Nov 23, 2005 at 9:29 PM Post #7 of 12
It's a bit late for the original jack, it broke a little when i tried to pull the sleving off
rolleyes.gif
. Anyway I've just ordered a new jack for it, now I have to wait
mad.gif
. I'm quite ok with doing the soldering myself, I have the equipment, and its been used on virtually every electronic thing I own. (I seem to have very bad luck with electronic things breaking, but equally good luck fixing them
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Nov 25, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #8 of 12
Ok, I have the new jack, and have removed the old one. Unfortunately I dont know which wire is which. Can anyone shed any light on this? I have a red, blue and orange/copper-coloured wire.

Nov 25, 2005 at 8:29 PM Post #11 of 12
If I'm understanding what you mean right, it definatly wasn't a loose connection between the jack and plug. It was in the jack itself. Anyway it's all fixed now, despite the crappy metal jack from maplin (What would be a really bad thing to put right next to the part you solder onto? Plastic with a low melting point.). I had to use a different one in the end.

Nov 26, 2005 at 4:30 AM Post #12 of 12
generally on low temp connectors I use a high temp iron 750f to 800f ish with heat sinks, Ive found it best to use a really hot iron and leave it for a second then a low temp iron and leave it there for 4 seconds. the latter will result in damage.

If soldering a female jack, I probably wouldve plugged in a metal mini cable as a heat sink during soldering.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back