Help a Vinyl Newbie pick a turntable
Jun 20, 2006 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

JaGWiRE

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys, some of you may remember I found a load of vinyl in my basement. My parents looked around for their old turntable, but it turns out my mom gave it to one of her best friends about 20 years ago who got divorced 15 yeras ago and her husdband took the turn table.

Anyway, I am looking for something budget, I will not be going nuts on vinyl (or atleast I think not), and I don't want to spend much. This popped up: http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ive_turntable/

What do you guys think of that? I know nothing about turntables, but that does include a cartaridge and cover meaning I wouldn't need to buy extra stuff. I have a vintage marantz 2216b for use as a preamp, and this guy is local which is nice.

Jun 21, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 9
The 502 was quite a nice entry level audiophile table - and one can still get the fairly similar 505-4 new today, btw...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 21, 2006 at 2:00 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
The 502 was quite a nice entry level audiophile table - and one can still get the fairly similar 505-4 new today, btw...

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

So would it not be a bad idea to pick this turntable up?

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 9
It might even be a good idea, provided the record player is in good working condition.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 21, 2006 at 9:10 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini
It might even be a good idea, provided the record player is in good working condition.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Hehe, yeah, he says it's in good condition, I'll see if my relative is willing to give me his sons player in the garage, if not, I will go pick this one up.. Can't wait to experience vinyl for the first time
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:18 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Unless your budget is a lot more, for $75 if this Dual is in good shape it's a no brainer; grab it!

Thanks, my relative needs to get on msn and get back to me on whether they can give me their table or not, elsewise I want to jump on this asap! The dimensiosn are even good!

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:42 AM Post #8 of 9
I agree with others about the suitability of this Dual TT for your needs. Way back in the old days I owned one and found it to be of good value and a capable spinner. It is not outstanding, but will certainly let you get the hang of vinyl playback pleasures. As long as it is mechanically sound and you feel good about how it performs thru your tests, jump on it.

After a bit of time you can always get a new, probably better, phono cartridge as a means of preserving your LP collection while getting better tracking and sonic performance. Look to the famous Grado cartridge line [yes the very same Grado lineage we know] and find something cost-effective there. Try to find out the existing tracking pressure and other central adjustments so that you optimize them and then play the Dual as you get it in a safe way. If that info is not available from the seller, you can probably obtain those details online or from one of the dealers who traffic in vintage audio gear.

BTW, all of this presumes that your receiver does have a real phono stage on board.

Good luck and happy listening.
k1000smile.gif

Jun 22, 2006 at 4:52 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by rudyhf
I agree with others about the suitability of this Dual TT for your needs. Way back in the old days I owned one and found it to be of good value and a capable spinner. It is not outstanding, but will certainly let you get the hang of vinyl playback pleasures. As long as it is mechanically sound and you feel good about how it performs thru your tests, jump on it.

After a bit of time you can always get a new, probably better, phono cartridge as a means of preserving your LP collection while getting better tracking and sonic performance. Look to the famous Grado cartridge line [yes the very same Grado lineage we know] and find something cost-effective there. Try to find out the existing tracking pressure and other central adjustments so that you optimize them and then play the Dual as you get it in a safe way. If that info is not available from the seller, you can probably obtain those details online or from one of the dealers who traffic in vintage audio gear.

BTW, all of this presumes that your receiver does have a real phono stage on board.

Good luck and happy listening.
k1000smile.gif

Marantz 2216b, it should, my headphone amp will be on the tape output, I think it should work if the turntables on the phono input, yes? If not, I can plug it into the phono in on my reciever and then the phono output to the phono input on my pc (not aux).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back