Help a struggling new audiophile - DAC and amp rec's $500-600
Jul 17, 2013 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

LG24

New Head-Fier
Hey everybody,

3 years ago I started my descent down the rabbit hole with the purchase of a pair of Shure 535's.  That was shortly followed by a pair of AKG 271 MkII's, and an Apogee duet to power them out of my MBP.

While I love the sound I get out of both headphones, the time has come for me to invest in a nice bedroom speaker set-up. I went to an audio / video store this weekend and fell in love with a pair of Paradigm Atom speakers, but am hopelessly lost when it comes to what amp and DAC I should be looking into.  

Would like to keep the budget around $500, but as we've all unfortunately found out on our own, that number is flexible...

I listen to mostly rock, folk, a bit of classic, and a bit of R & B / electronic.  Bass not a priority but would like a little punch.

Any ideas out there for me?? Music would be coming from my MBP

Thanks!
Grant

Jul 24, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks for all the recommendations.

The amp will be used 90% of the time to power speakers, not headphones.  Should I be concerned that the majority of these are designed as headphone amps, or is that just me reading too much into the name of the products?

My other idea was just to buy a DAC and then get a pair of Audioengine A5+'s.  Will the sound quality from those be substantially worse than the combo's listed above?

Jul 25, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 11
Or, considering the budget it may be more reasonable to go with a standalone dac and an integrated amp.  The earlier posters who were recommending headphone amps most likely neglected or misunderstood the first post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back