Help a poor traveler....
Aug 5, 2009 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Traddad

500+ Head-Fier
I'm holed up in a crappy motel room in Springerville, Arizona and all I have is my eeePC 900HD and it's tinny little speakers. My ears are starting to reject headphones so I need a set of good, portable speakers. What would you folks suggest?

Aug 5, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks a bunch!

The FoxL is about perfect but or the price....Small size and reportedly good sound....but I only plan on using it while traveling, etc. and can't bring myself to spend $200+- for a set of speakers that get used only episodically. Sound quality is really important but could one find good SQ in something portable and under $100 retail?

Aug 6, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traddad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a bunch!

The FoxL is about perfect but or the price....Small size and reportedly good sound....but I only plan on using it while traveling, etc. and can't bring myself to spend $200+- for a set of speakers that get used only episodically. Sound quality is really important but could one find good SQ in something portable and under $100 retail?

The Koss KSC-75 (or KSC-35) earphones are excellent for the price. They're clip-on so they don't put any pressure on your head at all. Many people on this forum would attest to that:

http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...rm&pc^sc^KSC75
http://www.koss.com/koss/kossweb.nsf...rm&pc^sc^KSC35

Do you absolutely require speakers? I would think head/earphones would work better for your needs (even though you said you're rejecting them). If not, the Swan D1080MkIIs are also quite good:

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/produ...roducts_id/113

Aug 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Aug 6, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Try some of the Logitech products like the Pure-Fi Anywhere 2. I had the mm50, which were pretty good for such small speakers. Nowhere near as compact as the foxL, though.

Quote:

I can't listen to headphones for more than 15 minutes any more. It breaks my heart. I used to be a real Gradophile (after a LOT of cans) but an old diving injury renders one of my ears really sensitive.

Grado earpads can hurt the hardiest of ears. Have you tried circumaural headphones (the kind that surround your ears rather than press against them)?

Aug 7, 2009 at 12:32 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by majid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try some of the Logitech products like the Pure-Fi Anywhere 2. I had the mm50, which were pretty good for such small speakers. Nowhere near as compact as the foxL, though.

Grado earpads can hurt the hardiest of ears. Have you tried circumaural headphones (the kind that surround your ears rather than press against them)?

It's not the pressure, it's having the drivers too close to my ears. Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, etc, etc...they all produce inner ear fatigue followed by increased tinnitus. Even at low volumes. For some reason this doesn't occur with speakers unless I really crank them (I don't). Those little swans look interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back