Help a poor college student pick out some in-ears or buds!!!
Sep 21, 2005 at 7:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HereIsNoWhy

New Head-Fier
Hi, I need a good set of in-ears or buds for mobile use. I have a pair of Koss KSC75s, but I can't use those outisde of my room due to the inasne leakage. So with that in mind, I need to buy some nice GOOD SOUNDING buds or in-ears for somewhere around $50ish preferably, and I'm hoping that these will sound better than my KSCs and become something that I use around home as well. I listen to a lot of alternative, indie, acoustic, techno/electronica,pop, some r&b, etc, and basically anything but rap. And as for sound characteristics, I like very tight and clean bass that's impactful as opposed to boomy/sloppy, yet I'm not a basshead, I'm after something that sounds very natural, smooth/liquidy, is widespread(as if it's comming from my surroundings and not from within my head), sounds very "big", punchy, and thick while still having pleasant mids and upper frequencies, minimal or no sibilance, and also has a musical flow to it that's rather fast, fun, never boring, and not bogged down. If that actually made any sense and is of any use, which out of the following would work the best for me? Any other suggestions, and is it safe to say that the cheap Sennheisers don't match up to the in-ears or the Sony and Audio Technica buds?

1) Sennheiser MX450
2) Audio Technica CM3/CM5
3) Sony E888
4) Etymotic er6
5) Shure e2c

Sep 22, 2005 at 1:36 AM Post #3 of 13
i recommand you to get an er6i

for 85$ at amazon.. if you can't afford it, go for e2c
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 13
I just purchased a pair of e2c's so those would be my preference.

Sep 22, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 13
HereIsNoWhy, it depends on how much isolation you need from outside sound. If you can go with regular earbuds, Sennheiser MX 4xx/5xx series are extremely good value. If you need to block out a ton of noise, e2/e2c should make you happy - it doesn't thump like the average Sony can, but it's still got enough for bass heavy songs.

Sep 22, 2005 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 13
Add the Panasonic RP HJE50 to that list. You can get it for around 30 bucks usually. It ought to be added to the hallowed annals of the 'good-cheap' cans around here in my opinion
smily_headphones1.gif
. I think as long as you are talking about IEMs, you aren't going to see much after the 30-40 price point until you're in the 80-120 range.

The Panasonic ought to meet your bass needs. You probably aren't going to find anything that isolates and has smooth highs and good soundstage in the fifty dollar range for inner ear, though. If there is, I hope someone will point me there, too. I've never heard an ER-6i, but folks around here all seem to say it satisfies real headphone needs and if you are serious about upgrading your sound from the Koss, then it is probably a sensible upgrade that will be worth the extra 30 to 50 bucks in the longrun.

Oh, Panasonic just released a new one; The RP HJE70. It is supposedly pretty comparable to the ER-6i and has this neato clippy thing on each bud that makes it into a little 'necklace' when you aren't using them. Keep in mind, that apart from what I said about the RP HJE50, I'm just repeating info I've read elsewhere, and offering you my own conclusions.

Hope you find a new headphone that meets your needs and happy hunting.
etysmile.gif

Sep 22, 2005 at 3:55 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan
HereIsNoWhy, it depends on how much isolation you need from outside sound. If you can go with regular earbuds, Sennheiser MX 4xx/5xx series are extremely good value. If you need to block out a ton of noise, e2/e2c should make you happy - it doesn't thump like the average Sony can, but it's still got enough for bass heavy songs.

The MX4xx/5xx sound great for the price, but a lot of people just plain CAN'T use them because they don't fit, and are pretty much overall uncomfortable. (I'm in that boat with my Senn buds.) I can solidly say that ER-6i's are a great set of phones, but for the sound you're going for, you would probably want to go with either Senns (if they fit you) or Shures.

Sep 22, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #9 of 13
Sorry if I'm retreading previous topics here, but can somebody give me a short description of what the general differences/characteristics are between the e2c and er6? I'm more concerned with sound quality over isolation, I just don't want these to leak badly so that other people can easily hear what I'm listening to, and if the er-6 is clearly better than the e2c, then I'd probably spring for the er-6. And what's the difference between the er-6 and er-6i? I'd be using these with the X5 that I just bought, I probably should have mentioned that earlier
icon10.gif
. And are the in-ears generally perceived as being better than the audio technica and sennheiser ear buds for sound quality?

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:25 PM Post #11 of 13
The ER-6 has a higher impedence than the ER-6i. Or I should say that the ER-6i is an ER-6 that was made to be portable. Also, I think it is only available in white?

Sep 23, 2005 at 3:43 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkmo
The ER-6 has a higher impedence than the ER-6i. Or I should say that the ER-6i is an ER-6 that was made to be portable. Also, I think it is only available in white?

Yep, that's exactly it. The whole being in white thing is sort of annoying, because it makes everyone think I have an iPod, which means I have to explain that a Karma or a iRiver is NOT an iPod every time I go out with them on.
etysmile.gif

Sep 23, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #13 of 13
From your requirements, I'd say you're on target for the er-6i, and not the
er-6. As has been mentioned, they only come in white. Some people find
the white only thing to be a negative (myself included), but for the sound
you'll get out of them, it's easily overlooked.

As for the metion of microphonics on the etys, it is a pain until you learn to
deal with it. I use the 6is mainly for commuting, and occasional work/home
listening. I usually put the cord behind my ears, and that by itself will knock
out about 80-90% of the microphonics. Some have mentioned that wearing
them over the ears (similar to Shures) reduces it further. I've tried it, and it
does almost completely eliminate any microphonics, but it was a bit awkward
for me while walking. They kept coming off my ear and causing a large loop
floating out next to my head. Not a good look
biggrin.gif

Staying to $50 or under, you might consider the sony ex-71 or ex-50 (is it 51 yet?) Out of the box, the bass will be boomy and sloppy, but with a few mods, they actually sound rather nice. Search on here for ways to fix them up.

Overall, if you can swing over 50 go for the er-6i you won't regret it.

-Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

Back