Help-a-noob
Dec 2, 2007 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

peticsu

New Head-Fier
First, I'd like to say hello to everyone, awesome place!

So, I am really a noob when it comes to audio stuff but thats ok...I just want to ask what would be a solid begginers set up...I listen to everything but mostly focus on nu/acid jazz, indie/electro, and post-rock having said that bass is not really a main concern. Budget wise, I dont want to go overboard because my ears arent so trained...

I really have no idea where to begin, I use my computer as my source and I'm rolling on onboard sound, I have a pretty good altec 2.1 system (by my standards I guess) but I want to listen afterhours without disturbing everyone...

I was thinking on the lines of AV-710 and HD555 or maybe 595...I really dont know a whole lot about DACs, are they necessary for me? I have a p5b-d and it has spdif in case that would somehow help out...

so, any advice would help!
THANK YOU!

Dec 2, 2007 at 12:48 PM Post #2 of 9
Okay, let's start from the top. Welcome to Head-Fi, enjoy your stay!

I think the idea of a Sennheiser 555 or 595 would be a great place to start. The 595 was my introduction to hi-fi and it really is quite versatile. You'll be able to use it with your onboard sound just fine and it'll improve later if you buy additional components. Other possible phones would be the entry-level Grados (SR60 / 80), which have a more lively sound which is better for rock but they might lack the impact you're looking for with jazz.

As for your source, the AV-710 is a good place to start as it will allow you to upgrade your system later on with a DAC. Put simply, a DAC converts the digital data from your music files into analogue data. Your sound card does this already, a DAC is simply a higher-quality converter. If you did get a DAC, you could feed it from the AV-710s optical out. I'd recommend looking at a DAC at some point but for me it's more of an 'icing on the cake' thing - at your level, things like decent headphones and a good amp will make a larger difference.

I'd recommend that you invest in the AV-710, as it's a good, solid card that will allow you to have 'bit-perfect' output later to a DAC later on. Bit-perfect simply means that the data is passing through the soundcard and into your DAC unchanged. Some soundcards perform low-quality resampling which can have an adverse effect on sound quality.

I'd also suggest picking up the 595s and an entry-level amp as that'll make a big difference to the sound quality in my experience. There are others who can advise you on an amp much better than I can. Most importantly, make use of the enormous archive of info here by doing some searches and have fun while doing so!

Dec 2, 2007 at 5:35 PM Post #3 of 9
I just picked up a pair of HD555's yesterday and they're great headphones if you aren't used to hi-end cans. The HD595's are a much better can imo with a livelier sound and much better mids that you might not notice right away with an audition between the two. I picked up the HD555's for movies mostly and to tide me over until I can buy some RS-1's with an RA1 amp. This combo is unbelievable imo. Having said that you could pick up some entry level grado's cheap used and pick up RA1 in the FS forums and you'll be in heaven. That's the way I'd go. For the money the entry level models sound very close to the RS1's. The amp changes the sound characteristic of all grado's and makes them sound incredible! Go big or go home. You'll want to upgrade in the future if you get the HD555's.

Dec 3, 2007 at 3:40 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by peticsu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Budget wise, I dont want to go overboard because my ears arent so trained...

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet!

That's a very smart line of thinking. Going out and buying the best right off the bat won't do you any good. A nice decent pair of headphones and a good little amp will get you off to a great start. And don't worry, you'll be upgrading in no time.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2007 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 9
In ear monitors can give a lot of performance for a little price. And they are easy to drive with a small portable amp. I saw a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps go for $100 on ebay last week.

Dec 5, 2007 at 8:16 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm also on the same boat you are. Although I have already decided on the headphones (HD595) I still need help on what else to buy. Soundcard, DAC, Amp. I don't want to spend too much as my budget does not allow me to.

Dec 5, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by andre.beat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also on the same boat you are. Although I have already decided on the headphones (HD595) I still need help on what else to buy. Soundcard, DAC, Amp. I don't want to spend too much as my budget does not allow me to.

I just bought the 595 off of Amazon and got the AV-710 from NCIX-US, newegg took it off and zipzoom was sold out too...maybe in the future Ill get myself a DAC/AMP but its such a major step up from what I have now, I think I'll be fine.

Anyways, thanks to everyone who helped!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back