Help a noob with his first system!
Aug 4, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #16 of 28
To hook 5.1 up to your computer, you can't really do that using a receiver and bookshelf speakers. The receiver would have to have 5.1 analog inputs, which very few do nowadays, they are all digital inputs. Sound cards don't output 5.1 digital signals for games, so it wouldn't work. So if you want 5.1 in games from your computer you'll have to go with some computer speakers. If you can live 2/2.1 then a stereo receiver and something like the Usher's would be great.

For what you want to do, I would have to recommend some Logitech THX 5.1 Gaming Speakers. They sound very good, much better than your typical computer speaker, and are perfect for gaming, music, and movies. They can hook up to your current sound card as 2.1, and when you get your X-Fi they will connect to that as 5.1. They also have a built-in equalizer so you can turn the bass down so you don't bug the neighbors and everyone else in your house. They also accept digital inputs so you can hook a DVD player right into them.

I've never heard of such a thing as tweeters burning out, so I wouldn't worry about that. Speakers are generally a reliable item. Also, the Logitech's I recommended are high quality so reliability should be even less of an issue.

Aug 4, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #17 of 28
The HK receiver I linked to has 5.1 analog inputs and the TB box has optical outs as well as analog outs..

Personally, if it was me I would go for the TB box, remote and powered monitors.

Simpler setup in the end along with incredible flexibility and functionality..

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #18 of 28
That HK looks pretty sweet !

You could also go crazy and look in the DIY forum for any simple pre-amp guide. A adjusted CMoy would do the trick already, giving you some time to save for a Real pre-amp.

Aug 4, 2007 at 7:19 PM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The receiver would have to have 5.1 analog inputs, which very few do nowadays, they are all digital inputs.

Err... Even ultra-budget receivers have 5.1 analog inputs. They all have 'em now, even the one I have for sale in the FS forum.
biggrin.gif

Aug 4, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #20 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err... Even ultra-budget receivers have 5.1 analog inputs. They all have 'em now, even the one I have for sale in the FS forum.
biggrin.gif

That looks like a lot of power for the money.

If I needed that kind of setup, I'd jump on it.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

I've never heard of such a thing as tweeters burning out, so I wouldn't worry about that. Speakers are generally a reliable item. Also, the Logitech's I recommended are high quality so reliability should be even less of an issue.

Tweeters are actually pretty easy to blow, my daughter blew both of mine when she was a teenager by turning the amp up past the point of distortion while "entertaining" her friends..

It seems counterintuitive but inadequate amp power for the volume selected is a prime cause of tweeter burnout.

Those little lightweight voice coils just won't take the heavy currents associated with highly distorted waveforms at full volume.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:29 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif

If you could point me out the 5.1 analog inputs on that receiver you have for sale. I looked at the picture of the rear, and don't see any of the sort. 5.1 analog input requires 6 RCA input connectors (Front L, Front R, Rear L, Rear R, Center, Sub).

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheVinylRipper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tweeters are actually pretty easy to blow, my daughter blew both of mine when she was a teenager by turning the amp up past the point of distortion while "entertaining" her friends..

It seems counterintuitive but inadequate amp power for the volume selected is a prime cause of tweeter burnout.

Those little lightweight voice coils just won't take the heavy currents associated with highly distorted waveforms at full volume.

Anything is easy to ruin pushing it past the limit. I'm assuming our OP has the sense not to run his speakers way past distortion.

The speakers I recommended have 500 Watts of power. For the size of them, that is certainly not underpowered.

Aug 5, 2007 at 12:52 AM Post #24 of 28
Quote:

Anything is easy to ruin pushing it past the limit. I'm assuming our OP has the sense not to run his speakers way past distortion.

The speakers I recommended have 500 Watts of power. For the size of them, that is certainly not underpowered.

You said you had never heard of it, I was just pointing out that it does indeed happen.

I don't think it is the tweeters that are blowing on those things, I rather suspect it is the amps..

Really high powered amps are usually heavy, there are some exceptions like the Carver M400a but they aren't all that common. Bob Carver is (was?) a true genius and they tend to get away with things that mere mortals do not.

carver_m-400a.jpg

Aug 5, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

If you could point me out the 5.1 analog inputs on that receiver you have for sale. I looked at the picture of the rear, and don't see any of the sort. 5.1 analog input requires 6 RCA input connectors (Front L, Front R, Rear L, Rear R, Center, Sub).

Look right above the speaker connections..

pioneer8.jpg

Aug 5, 2007 at 2:24 AM Post #26 of 28
Quote:

TheVinylRipper has it right... They're a bit hard to spot on that receiver since they're not all located in the same area. L and R are in the grey-shaded area labeled DVD/LD and the other four inputs are above the speaker posts (Center, Sub, LS, RS going clockwise).

Aug 10, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #28 of 28
Thanks much for the suggestions, guys, I'll definitely look into everything that you've mentioned.

Question about the AV123s... is that an internet only product, or will high-end brick & mortar audio retailers carry that for testing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back