Help a noob with EQ?
Dec 24, 2013 at 2:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

ShibeSuchBass

100+ Head-Fier
So i want to customize the EQ on my computer to make my earphones sound better. Im a huge bass head, but also have a great need for clarity, no muffled sound allowed here. Im also a noob to audio and this stuff, but i am becoming pretty knowledgeable thanks to the few days ive began here on Head-Fi. This is probably the stupidest thing ever asked, but for the life of me, i cant set custom EQ's. No matter what i mess it all up, ive tried learning, but to no avail. I currently am listening with some pretty bass heavy and okay quality Phillips SHE3580, and i have the EQ set to Powerful, with my built in Realtek audio chip and Realtek audio driver on Windows 8 if that matters. On my iPod Touch 4g i have it set to the Hip Hop EQ which is pretty good for me as it has good enough treble and has great bass, i listen to dubsetp mostly and hip hop so bass is the main aspect, but i also need clarity. On my computer, i want some more bass, i would like it to be the same as the Hip Hop EQ on my ipod, but there is no matching preset so i want to make my own EQ, thing is i cant. I just cant learn, ive been messing with it for like an hour and i am so done. SO i come here for some help, to have it explained like im 5, have the eq sliders broken down to understand better what they do, etc. Please help, i understand if i am mocked 
triportsad.gif

Thanks in advance for any help!

Screenshot of the audio, EQ, etc. so you know what the EQ changer looks like for me. Again, thanks 
atsmile.gif

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:09 AM Post #2 of 11
Why not get a bass-heavy IEMs like FutureSonic Atrios or HIppo VB? Or use Foobar200 for Windows 8, which has a lot of EQ options and settings.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Why not get a bass-heavy IEMs like FutureSonic Atrios or HIppo VB? Or use Foobar200 for Windows 8, which has a lot of EQ options and settings.
I am looking for some bass oriented iem's as you've seen already lol, ill check those out, but again, I do need clarity sound, not just mad mind shattering bass; wish we could have crazy bass and super clear sound :frowning2: Anyways, I would like to just know how to make my own EQ settings, its like everyone else knows but me and I just cannot understand it and learn how to do it on my own.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 11
Dec 24, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #5 of 11
I am looking for some bass oriented iem's as you've seen already lol, ill check those out, but again, I do need clarity sound, not just mad mind shattering bass; wish we could have crazy bass and super clear sound
frown.gif
Anyways, I would like to just know how to make my own EQ settings, its like everyone else knows but me and I just cannot understand it and learn how to do it on my own.

for computer use, just google "free equalizer program" and you will find a lot of different choices. most smartphones also have free equalizer apps you can download.

don't bother messing around with the built-in eq program in windows. just turn off all windows sound enhancements & eq options. Then use a 3rd party EQ software.

Dec 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM Post #6 of 11
Get iTunes and you can see what the Hip Hop eq actually is (like what the levels are). I believe the settings are the same between iPod and iTunes. You can start from that one and adjust it to your taste. Turn each slider all the way up and all the way down so you learn how it affects the sound

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:06 AM Post #7 of 11
The important thing to note with an EQ is that you should never EQ UP unless you have the option to lower the pre-amp level. EQing up without lowering the pre-amp will result in distortion, i.e. crappy sound. If you for instance want sub-bass boosted 3db, leave the left most slider at 0 and lower the rest 3db.

Dec 25, 2013 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 11
If you can lower the preamp instead of EQ'ing down. Else, I agree with above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM Post #9 of 11
  SO i come here for some help, to have it explained like im 5, have the eq sliders broken down to understand better what they do, etc.

An EQ is basically just volume control for individual frequencies. When you're using an EQ, the sliders control frequencies in order from lowest to highest left to right. Increasing a frequency will make it louder than the others. Increasing the left-most slider will give you more sub-bass, Increasing the middle slider will bring out voices, Increasing the right-most slider will give you more nailes-on-a-chalkboard sound, etc. You can play around with each slider individually to get a better understanding of what frequencies they control. The preamp is a separate slider in the EQ that allows you to control overall volume. If you increase some frequencies, then you want to turn the preamp down to avoid distortion. If you lower some frequencies, you want to turn the preamp up to retain volume. Most of the time, your computer will do this for you. If your preamp slider is greyed out or missing (which it is in your picture), then you know that the computer is probably compensating automatically.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

Dec 25, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #10 of 11

An EQ is basically just volume control for individual frequencies. When you're using an EQ, the sliders control frequencies in order from lowest to highest left to right. Increasing a frequency will make it louder than the others. Increasing the left-most slider will give you more sub-bass, Increasing the middle slider will bring out voices, Increasing the right-most slider will give you more nailes-on-a-chalkboard sound, etc. You can play around with each slider individually to get a better understanding of what frequencies they control. The preamp is a separate slider in the EQ that allows you to control overall volume. If you increase some frequencies, then you want to turn the preamp down to avoid distortion. If you lower some frequencies, you want to turn the preamp up to retain volume. Most of the time, your computer will do this for you. If your preamp slider is greyed out or missing (which it is in your picture), then you know that the computer is probably compensating automatically.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but I hope it helps!

You really helped, thanks. But which slider in my picture is the preamp slider? They all look greyed out, but i can actually move them and it becomes a "User Define" EQ once i change something in the EQ settings of a preset EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back