Help a noob upgrade from the Logitech Z-2300's ?
Jan 14, 2013 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Zowzout123

New Head-Fier
So up front I would like to say i'm a novice at this stuff and would very much appreciate some hand holding on the subject.  So any and all help would be greatly appreciate.

What I am really looking to do is upgrade from my 2.1 system that is the Logitech Z-2300.  I don't dislike them at all, but I feel that I might get better, clearer sound elsewhere.  To me it would be kind of like going from my older Logitech G35 headset to the Audio Technica AD700's.  Which I look much more, even though there is a lack of bass at times.

Below is what the Z-2300's look like.

Goal- Get a nice, substantial upgrade while spending around $300-400.  (If this is not obtainable, maybe some help on what to expect realistically would be great.)  And if I can save money, that's even better.  If I could upgrade for around $200, that would make my day.

Current setup includes just using the on-board 3.5mm jack to go to the Z-2300's, I don't even have a dedicated sound card :frowning2:   If that is something that I also need to factor in, lets pretend that's not part of the cost, but I wouldn't mind recommendations either.

Like I said, I'm really new to all of this, so a breakdown of everything I might need would be fantastic.  Thanks!  

(PS- I wouldn't mind having a sub, as I do enjoy bass, but I would rather have a really nice 2.0 setup that sounds amazing than a 2.1 setup that has sub-par all around stuff that might not be a noticeable upgrade over the Z-2300's.).

Thanks for taking the time to read and possibly help me on my way :)

Jan 14, 2013 at 7:22 PM Post #4 of 8
Nope, they have built in amp.
U can always add a DAC if u want, like Audioengine D1.

For 2.0, i suggest A5+
For 2.1 if ur planning to add a sub later, get A2.

Jan 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!  What exactly is a DAC going to do for me?  What would I notice?  Like I said im just getting into this stuff and learning.
Thanks!

First of all, DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter if u don't know.
Gear Priority:
Headphone(speaker) > Amp > DAC > Cables

I won't say a DAC will makes Day and Night diffrence, but if ur using some crappy onboard sound card and curious about sound quality, get a DAC.

Audioengine D1 or 2 are good.

P.S: i'm no audio expert.

Jan 15, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #8 of 8
Just to add to the suggestions; although slightly above your budget at about mid $500's from a proper dealer, the Paradigm Millenia CT's are a fantastic choice if you want to keep a 2.1 setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back