Help a noob please! :D Changing cmoy opamp..
Aug 18, 2013 at 7:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

loller

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys! I will start by saying 2 things: i'm a total noob. i've read some threads here but i haven't learned much (reading isn't as useful as listening) and sorry for my english, i'm italian.

More then a years ago i've bought a pair of sennheiser hd598 and a CmoyBB from jds labs, powered by a 12 v - 0,5 A adapter, for home use on my pc.. And i'm quite satisfied.. But i would like to try changing the opamp.

any suggestions?? :)

the cmoy comes with an OPA2227, i like the soundstage effect and the precision of this (especially in bass) in comparason with the non-amplified set but sometimes it sounds less involving and has a weaker impact..

thanks! ^^

Aug 18, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #2 of 7
http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/opamps.html

The first one you might try would be the OPA2132.  It's a very slight variation on the classic CMoy opamp, the OPA2134.  There are many others in tangent's reviews.  Some are only available in SOIC-8, but there are Brown Dog adapters available from here: http://cimarrontechnology.com/.  If the opamp is not too fast, these work well in a DIP-socket and you can even get dual-to-single adapters if the particular opamp is not available in a dual form in a single chip.

I never really liked the OPA2227, but as you may discover, preferences with opamps are variable from person to person.

Edit: Too many "2's" in "2134"
wink.gif

Aug 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #6 of 7
reading the forum, and the reviews from the link posted above, i have noticed that some people suggest AD8066 and AD8620.. this would be a direct swap?

edit:
and also can you please tell me how the sound would change with the opa that you reccomended? or what are their main characteristics..
thanks a lot!!! ^^

Aug 19, 2013 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
reading the forum, and the reviews from the link posted above, i have noticed that some people suggest AD8066 and AD8620.. this would be a direct swap?

edit:
and also can you please tell me how the sound would change with the opa that you reccomended? or what are their main characteristics..
thanks a lot!!! ^^

No, it's not exactly a direct swap.  The CMoyBB, like almost any CMoy, is based on a dual-channel, DIP-8 form factor for the opamp.  Last time I looked, the AD8066 and AD8620 - while they are each dual-channel - are only available in SOIC-8.  So, you'd have to solder them to a Brown Dog adapter before you could plug them into the DIP-8 socket in the CMoyBB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back